How to I.D. an Insurance for a Claim

My dad was side swiped , the dude took off so my dad followed him to his house. Cops came and wrote up the accident report and got the guys insurance.. Now when my dad calls the guys insurance , several times... they say they cannot find his policy # or his name. Cops say to just file the claim with my dads own insurance and they will find it.. but what if it was a fake insurance card or something ??

has anybody been in a similar situation ? Do you always just file with your own insurance even if the other persons supposed insurance company absolutely denies the guy has a policy with them?

Cops say to just file the claim with my dads own insurance and they will find it..
Let your insurance company handle it, they have investigators to handle such cases.
👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻 Correct answers / best advice !

Now when my dad calls the guys insurance , several times...
Tell him to stop. I'm surprised they even speak to him. Until their client acknowledges the accident, as far as their concerned, your dad is trying to scam them. That's why they "can't find" the policy.

I work for a Farmers agency. Unless you are in a state with "no fault" insurance, if you're involved in a accident and it's the other driver's fault it's usually best to contact that driver's insurance and file a claim directly with them. That way it doesn't appear as a claim on your insurance. It's a good practice to limit your number of claims, even if they are not your fault.

In this case, you probably should file a claim through your insurance company. If the other party has insurance, your company will work it out with them. If not, hopefully you are covered for uninsured drivers, in which case your insurance company will pay your damages and then go after the other party through subrogation.

I work for a Farmers agency. Unless you are in a state with "no fault" insurance, if you're involved in a accident and it's the other driver's fault it's usually best to contact that driver's insurance and file a claim directly with them. That way it doesn't appear as a claim on your insurance. It's a good practice to limit your number of claims, even if they are not your fault.

In this case, you probably should file a claim through your insurance company. If the other party has insurance, your company will work it out with them. If not, hopefully you are covered for uninsured drivers, in which case your insurance company will pay your damages and then go after the other party through subrogation.

thanks Joel.. but the guy provided his insurance card which went on the police report.. now that insurance company cannot find that name or policy number.. so could he of provided a fraudulent card ?

👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻 Correct answers / best advice !

Tell him to stop. I'm surprised they even speak to him. Until their client acknowledges the accident, as far as their concerned, your dad is trying to scam them. That's why they "can't find" the policy.

The police also called them and they say the same thing.

Until their client acknowledges the accident, as far as their concerned, your dad is trying to scam them. That's why they "can't find" the policy.
The police also called them and they say the same thing.

Doesn't change anything. At best, they also cited him for failing to provide proof of insurance if they couldn't confirm his coverage.

Have him file the claim with his own insurance unless you and him want to drag this out, wasting time, to find out the other guy doesn't really have insurance. Then guess what ? He'll file with his own insurance.

A similar situation happened to us a while back with the Camry. Was rear ended by someone not paying attention. They didn't take off so we had their insurance information and everything. However, what they did was get insurance to get their car inspected and then let it default. They had a current insurance card, but not insurance. So, unfortunately our car had to be repaired by our insurance.

My wife was in an accident a few months ago . Other driver was at fault . We called our insurance company and they told us to go ahead with the repairs while they fought it out with the other driver's insurance company . When the repairs were finished we had to pay the deductible . A couple of weeks later we got a check from our insurance company for the deductible . It seems the other company had dug in their heels and refused to pay until they took it to a mediator who ruled in our favor . Never experienced that before .

We called our insurance company and they told us to go ahead with the repairs
This is the right way to do it anymore. I've said it many times, the other guy's (or girl's) insurance isn't your friend. They have one goal - settle/close the claim as quickly as possible and for as little $$$ as possible.

My wife was in an accident a few months ago . Other driver was at fault . We called our insurance company and they told us to go ahead with the repairs while they fought it out with the other driver's insurance company . When the repairs were finished we had to pay the deductible . A couple of weeks later we got a check from our insurance company for the deductible . It seems the other company had dug in their heels and refused to pay until they took it to a mediator who ruled in our favor . Never experienced that before .
Yes it's called a subrogated settlement. The only issue is that some Insurance Companies ( should you switch providers) consider that a claim on your insurance - and some do not. Been there- done that.

A great deal depends on the insurance agent. Some agent's don't give a hoot and will let their client deal directly with the other party's insurance carrier despite it being their job to represent you and your insurance carrier. I learned a long time ago from my uncle who was an insurance adjuster to only work through your agent and your company and let them go after the other insurance company.

If the other insurance company wants to speak to you, do so only in the presence of your insurance agent or other authorized representative of your insurance carrier. If you answer the phone to someone who just out of the blue asks how are you feeling/doing, respond with "...talk to my insurance agent..." and hang up. Be cautious of people identifying themselves as being with "...the insurance company..." and respond with "...talk to my insurance agent..." and hang up.

By the way, remember that if you are in an accident, you are contractually obligated to notify your insurance company regardless of who is at fault. If you are insured by a "normal" insurance carrier, your premiums will not automatically increase if the accident is not chargeable to you. Mine did not after being sideswiped on the interstate about 15 years ago and having my insurance carrier take care of my repairs and then going after the other driver's company because he was clearly at fault. Heck, that even driver filed a claim against me before he notified his insurance carrier!

If the other insurance company wants to speak to you, do so only in the presence of your insurance agent....
Another reason why I tell people over and over, have your insurance company handle your claim even if the other driver is clearly at fault. Only thing I'd say different than what you're saying is not to involve your agent other than a courtesy that you were in an accident. They are not claims experts and should always direct you to the claims adjuster if you have questions, etc, etc.

Hall, I agree with you, but, the insurance agent should have a set of protocols to follow such as referring their client to the claims adjuster, legal department, etc., for anything other than routine questions.

By the way, I do understand where you are coming from as there are many "dumb" insurance agents out there!

Back