How to get motor oil out of floormat/carpet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I left 2 jugs of new Mobil 1 on the floorboard of my Corvette for a week and found that one has a small leak in the bottom and now my passenger carpet and floormat are oil soaked. What is the best way to go about removing this? Trying to look on the bright side, at least it was new oil.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I did 6 Dawn/water applications on the mat. The carpet I blotted as best I could, but unfortunately it's into the jute. I'll see how it fairs and if it keeps coming back, I'll replace the carpet Fortunately it's black carpet and the spot that got oil is near the seat mounts so it is low traffic and hard to see anyways.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Zippo lighter fluid.

Agreed, I think you need a lighter hydrocarbon to get it all out. Then let it sit out in the sun a day or too.

An aside, I'd also be contacting ExxonMobil and telling them what happened, maybe if you try hard enough you can get a new set of floor mats.

Carbon-tet, gallons of it! Add to coin operated laundry-mat machine (do not use your own. Will possible melt valves & seals) Run for 3 cycles, manually skipping the first 2 rinse cycles. Dry in commercial electric dryer only, never a propane or natural gas unit. Even still, monitor for blue balls of flame.
That will take care of the floor mats. Carpet will need to go to dry cleaners. Figure on it to cost you the equivalent of 20 wool suits.

Go to Dollar General and get some Awesome. Yellow stuff for $1 a spray bottle. You will thank me. I promise. It is better than Dawn and Dawn is the best most people know about.

Originally Posted by Gebo
IS this better than Awesome? I gotta go and get me a few bottles.

I like it much better for spot removal on carpets. The LA's Totally Awesome is good for other cleaning tasks like degreasing, etc... It's also available at Dollar Tree which I think you meant above. It almost seems too strong and/or highly toxic since the bottle says to dilute it way down for simple cleaning tasks. It lists the ratios on the bottle in small print.

https://www.dollartree.com/las-totally-awesome-all-purpose-cleaner-20oz/152664

Originally Posted by Piston_slap
Carbon-tet, gallons of it! Add to coin operated laundry-mat machine (do not use your own. Will possible melt valves & seals) Run for 3 cycles, manually skipping the first 2 rinse cycles. Dry in commercial electric dryer only, never a propane or natural gas unit. Even still, monitor for blue balls of flame.
That will take care of the floor mats. Carpet will need to go to dry cleaners. Figure on it to cost you the equivalent of 20 wool suits.

So it's okay to ruin someone else's machines rather than your own?

That's the stuff!

Here it is in Dollar General. Never been in a Dollar Tree. Although Family Dollar, Dollar Tree and Dollar General are owned by the same parent company.

Did you happen to write Mobil a letter about it and send pics? I bet they would have taken care of you being that you own a Vette.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Did you happen to write Mobil a letter about it and send pics? I bet they would have taken care of you being that you own a Vette.

Good idea.

Shame on a fellow Corvette owner to even take the chance of a problem but since it's too late I would used simple green or dawn soap and water. Keep rinsing and repeating until its gone. The clothes washer idea is the best but it might not be good for the next person who washes their clothes.

A carpet extraction machine is what is needed. Spray some pre-treat and wait a bit then use the carpet extraction machine.

Wife's daughter (kids!!) left sunroof open in Subaru Forester and it rained about 1" Monday evening. I pulled 6 gallons of water from the carpet, and seats. The seats which I had used Turtle Wax upholstery cleaner on had a lot of foam mixed with water as I was extracting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back