How to get a UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, been reading this site for a little while now, and have gotten way more educated than I ever wanted to be about oil. Anyway, since I'm now partially addicted to this site, I wanted to do a UOA on the oil I just dropped out of my 97 Pathfinder, oil has about 6,500 on it.

I filled up an 8oz jar, just about, as it was draining. But I don't know where to send the oil or how to go about doing it. Can someone tell what I need to do.

- Where to send it
- How to send it, what to send it in
- How I go about paying for it

And anything else I need to know.

Thanks in advance, Mike.

Thanks Andy, ordered the kit last night. So my next post will be titled, "What do these UOA #'s mean?"

Although I'm not expecting the #'s to be too good after almost 7,000 miles on the dino oil and Nissan filter(or whoever makes Nissan filters). The truck has 150K on it, and after reading many things all around this site I've completely given up on the 3,000 mile OCI, even though I usually did them every 4K, but now I'm gonna push them a little further. Using Napa Gold filters and Napa(Valvoline) 5w-30.

Thanks again.

Quote:

Thanks Andy, ordered the kit last night. So my next post will be titled, "What do these UOA #'s mean?"

Thanks again.

When sending in your sample to Blackstone, you might want to pay the extra $$ to have a "Dyson Analysis". Blackstone will forward the results to Mr. Terry Dyson (search for his name on this board) and he will give you a full interpretation of what is going on in your engine. I would highly recommend his services. He pointed out an air restriction in my Harley Davidson and I actually was able to tweak the intake to solve a myriad of problems I was having. It would have taken me a long time to figure that out myself (if ever). The people on BITOG are helpful in the interpretation, but they are nothing compared to Terry's interpretation. go to www.dysonanalysis.com and check out a sample report. But his services don't really stop at the report. In my case, I had a few other questions and he was more than happy to respond to my emails (and he did respond VERY quickly).

I couldn't be happier with his services, if you give him a try I don't think you will be dissapointed.

cheers.gif

On an average, how long to get a responce back from a UOA or
VOA in the states?

and is it a e-mail or sent in the mail??

thanks

I've sent all of my samples to Blackstone via Fedex so I know exactly when they get there. I've sent 5 samples. Out of the 5, 4 were turned around within 24 hours. One of the samples was turned around the same day it arrived.

Terry Dyson turned around both of his analysis interpretations within 48 hours (and one of them he did over the weekend).

If you are in a hurry, I wouldn't use USPS. The post office seems to be the source of many delayed UOAs. Sure, first class postage should be only a week to get there. In reality I have seen people on this board complain that it took close to a month to get to the lab.

So Blackstone does the analysis and then they send it to Terry, and he in turn sends you a full description, or do you have to send it to Terry yourself?

Quote:

so the responce a email then??

Blackstone Labs will either mail you a paper copy, or they'll e-mail you a PDF version...your choice. I prefer PDF via e-mail as it makes it easier to post it online (if needed), and you'll have it quicker versus waiting for a mailed copy.

Quote:

Quote:

so the responce a email then??

Blackstone Labs will either mail you a paper copy, or they'll e-mail you a PDF version...your choice. I prefer PDF via e-mail as it makes it easier to post it online (if needed), and you'll have it quicker versus waiting for a mailed copy.

thanks,,yup e-mail would be better.

Blackstone used to send the first UOA in the mail as well as an email. I sent them an email stating that wasn't necessary...

Just so you know, Terry will read any report from any lab and give you an interpretation. Doing it though Blackstone makes it a little more convenient.

If you use Blackstone without Terry's services, they will give you a little bit of explanation but it isn't advice per se. However, if you pay them to send it over to Terry they omit their little blurb because Terry will do more of an interpretation and will offer suggestions on improving the numbers. And, honestly, the Blackstone "explanation" isn't really that helpful. Their Averages are not really good indicators unless something is completely out of whack.

Whatever you do, post the results of the UOA here so you can add to everyone's knowledge. Just make sure you ask Terry before posting any of his recommendations (but the Blackstone report is definately fair game). It is interesting to see the comments from people on this board contrasted against Terry's advice. There are some really smart people here that give some good advice too, but there is some really dumb stuff too
wink.gif
. If you want good soild practical advice, Dyson is the way to go. Terry also has his own lab that will do more extensive testing, but with that comes a price. I am reserving that UOA for the Harley that I am having issues with, but wouldn't spend the $$ on my Honda or Toyota (unless there was an issue). Just my 2 coppers...

Oh and
welcome.gif

(wanted to use the new Graemlin)

Quote:

Just re-read your post Lou, now I see Blackstone will forward it directly to Terry. Sounds like it's worth it.

Just to be clear, Blackstone will send you an email of their report immediately and then tell you they forwarded it to Dyson Analysis. Then you will probably get Terry's additional report a few days later. His report will obviosuly show the same data, but he goes line by line and makes comments on all of the readings. You can go to his website to see a sample. It is a very simple and logical report layout.

Quote:

Whats the cost for Fedex for you??

Um, I get really good rates (like 65% off the published rate) and my priority overnight is like $.30 more than 2nd day (and I allow all the employees here to use our warehouse for shipping personal stuff and get the corporate rate - as long as no one abuses it). If you send it Economy it should be around $10. Since you are in MI, I would probably go Economy anyway as it will probably get there next day just the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back