How to get a picture down the oil fill hole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to take some pictures tonight of and have no idea how people do it. I couldn't get the flash or the focus to go beyond the outside.

Is everyone using an old school camera with manual focus and some sort of pin light flashlight?

set your camera to macro, it is the setting that looks like a flower. shine a bright light down the hole while attempting to take the photo. try not to use the flash.

Taking shots up the drain hole!!!!!
LOL.gif

Sorry guys the mind is drifting today...

Set the ISO pretty high (whatever high is for your camera, without injecting too much noise). Turn the flash off. If you use auto exposure, shoot a bracketed spread of exposures, or use spot metering.

I'd just crunch it up, like a ball of paper, and stuff it down there. Sorry for the smart [censored] in me coming out!!!!

Try a piece of white paper in front of the flash. It will either diffuse it or let you bounce-aim it down the hole.

If you have EV compensation, add +1 or +2, the outer valve cover will be washed out but the insides more visible.

Wow, this is good info. I recently took pictures of the oil fill hole and out of about 15 of them, only 3 were worthy of posting. I'm going to retry soon.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Set the ISO pretty high (whatever high is for your camera, without injecting too much noise). Turn the flash off. If you use auto exposure, shoot a bracketed spread of exposures, or use spot metering.

I should also have added that you'll probably need to go manual on the focus. I use two cameras, a Canon G10 for most "casual" stuff (14.7 MP, but very small sensor which creates unacceptable noise above ~ISO-400), and a Canon XSi DSLR ("only" 12.1 MP, but much less noise) for the rest. If you have access to a DSLR, I'd use that, for two reasons. Usually, it's much easier to go manual on the focus, and second, when using higher ISO settings, you'll generally get less noise than you will from the smaller sensor cameras.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Try a piece of white paper in front of the flash. It will either diffuse it or let you bounce-aim it down the hole.

If you have EV compensation, add +1 or +2, the outer valve cover will be washed out but the insides more visible.

Camera and photo supply shops have a gray-scale standard for setting exposure. Without one of those, do not use white paper, try to find a light-to-medium gray sheet of paper and hold it in front of the lens to get the exposure time approximate. Then try various focal distances -- one of them should give a good result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back