How to flush the engine to use synthetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What it the process to get the dino/other synthetic out of your engine? I've heard of some products but I'm really new to this and don't understand any of it. I've tried searches but this site's search system leaves a little to be desired. Thanks for all the help.

Thanks,

Chad

2002 Ford E350 van. 5.4L triton with 135K. I've only put about 2K miles on this van and it was very well maintained for a service van. I'm sure a flush couldn't hurt. I just have no idea how to do it and if it needs to be done.

Thanks,

Chad

Just put the Syn in and run a couple of shorter OCI's of 5K miles or less and then you will be good to go!

If the engine wasn't cared for properly in the past, then I would recommend a flush.

Pablo can explain it better than I, but if you are going to switch over to the Amsoil 0W-20 that you talked about in the other thread, the Amsoil flush is a good product. Just follow the direction on the can.

Don't flush anything. It's a waste of money. Just drain the old oil, add new oil (and filter) and forget about any [censored] you've read on engine flushes.

If you want to flush, add a q of kero or diesel to the old oil in hot engine, idle 10 min and drain. If you want to flush a short oci with dinoi oil first, I'd go 1000mi on some PepBoys oil.

Do you know about Auto-Rx???

http://auto-rx.com

Originally Posted By: D189379
Don't flush anything. It's a waste of money. Just drain the old oil, add new oil (and filter) and forget about any [censored] you've read on engine flushes.
It's not a waste of money if used for the proper reasons, and if the proper product is used. Your typical "flushing" product that you get offered at a quick change place is garbage and not needed, but there are good products out there that do work as they are supposed to without compromising your engine.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
It's not a waste of money if used for the proper reasons, and if the proper product is used. Your typical "flushing" product that you get offered at a quick change place is garbage and not needed, but there are good products out there that do work as they are supposed to without compromising your engine.
wink.gif

I'd only use a flush to get rid of any stuff one of those "flush in a can" products left in the engine.

I have simply done a shorter OCI the first or first few times, which dilutes out anything else in there and allows whatever cleaning that may occur to take place.

Besides that, nothing is necessary, IMO.

I wouldn't use a flush. If you're not sure of the history and want to do some cleaning, try a pint of MMO 1000 miles before you plan on changing your oil. Then change the filter and fill with the oil of your choice.

AD

Exactly, very well said
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: snydely
2002 Ford E350 van. 5.4L triton with 135K. I've only put about 2K miles on this van and it was very well maintained for a service van. I'm sure a flush couldn't hurt. I just have no idea how to do it and if it needs to be done.

Thanks,

Chad

Oil flushes have their purposes. The most common need is for engines that are sludge prone. I am absolutely convinced Amsoil flush used per the instructions will help drain out nasty gelled oil and spooge. I have seen it now on over 5 Toyota engines.

Toyota Camry V6:

Short OCI with whatever oil - oil runs out dirty. That's about it.

NEXT Same engine with whatever oil and Amsoil flush. Montezuma's revenge. With lumps.

Repeat. Then on to AutoRx.

Now as for your engine. Do a couple slightly shortened OCI's with synthetic oil and you should be golden, but watch for the oil to darken relatively quickly for 5-6 oil changes as the conventional varnish patina cleans up.

Originally Posted By: snydely
I'm sure a flush couldn't hurt.

I'm of the school of thought that says a flush CAN hurt, and the only engine I would ever flush is one that is so bad off that the only alternative is a tear-down. Quality modern oils won't ever leave anything behind that is harmful, unless the previous owner left the oil in without changing it way, way, way too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back