How to flush coolant in '97 Taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriends Taurus has got some nasty looking brown collant in it with all kinds of nasty gunk in the overflow bottle. Is anyone on here aware of the procedure to flush this system? I can't believe that the thing still runs without overheating from the look of this stuff. BTW, it also smells nasty.

Perfect instructions Kestas! Many people forget to remove the thermostat, which is key to a proper flush IMO. I also like to idle the engine a bit with this method and rev it up a bit as well to really get things flowing.

I've heard that there is a pain about getting the drain plug off of the rad, or the block plug is in a strange spot. Something like that? I'm just wondering what quirks this specific car has. I don't want her car to go
crushedcar.gif

The drain plug is a plastic wing nut at the bottom of the radiator. It may take more than finger pressure to work it loose. I think the tricky part is figuring which way to turn it. I can't tell from memory. This confusion usually works itself out when I'm under the hood.

I normally don't deal with block plugs (maybe I should).

Drew, thanks for the tip on revving the engine during flush, I'll try it next time. At the very least it should move things around in the water pump area.

Thanks for the info. Kestas, my SAAB will hold almost half its coolant if the block isn't drained, but maybe running it while flushing would get rid of that issue??? Do you think that I can wait for warmer weather with the condition of this stuff? The inside of the overflow bottle is coated with nastiness. I might just wait until it's 40 or so outside.

Carrera, you should drain the block and radiator and run a mild chemical flush through the system.

If you don't have time or inclination to drain the block right now, install one of those Prestone Fast Flush Kits in the heater hose and follow directions. They work OK, not as good as a block drain and a flush but OK.

I can't see doing coolant maintenance in this hard weather. Add "thaw garden hose" to the task list. Plus, you may tend to take shortcuts.

If the SAAB holds no more than half its coolant after flushing, you should be okay and just add antifreeze for the recharge. That's why Steps 9 and 10 are listed. Flushing should get all the old coolant out and should leave only water in the system. Recharge with the specified amount of pure antifreeze before adding water.

You can do a radiator drain and refill now (with fresh antifreeze of course) and then flush it properly in the spring.

This'll get some of the crud and replenish the additives.

The procedure I use is as follows:

1. Drain fluid
2. Remove the thermostat
3. Reinstall the t-stat housing and upper radiator hose
4. Disconnect upper radiator hose at radiator
5. Flush system with garden hose through upper radiator hose until water runs clear
6. Disconnect heater hoses, open heat valve
7. Flush heater core
8. Flush overflow tank
9. Drain as much water as possible from cooling system
10. Siphon water from overflow tank
11. Reinstall thermostat
12. Button everything back up
13. Refill cooling system with specified amount of antifreeze, bring up to level with water, preferably distilled
14. Run car, top off coolant
15. Keep adding water as required every morning until system is topped off.

This procedure is done on a cold engine. I use this method for every car I own. Since there is rust in the cooling system of the Taurus, you may want to consider a citric acid flush treatment.

Keep in mind that flushing a neglected cooling system can sometimes dislodge corrosion resulting in a radiator leak. Be prepared for that.

carrera79

Ford has three recalls 98B26, 98B27, and 98B23 out on this and is a very big problem for the 2V Vulcan motors built from '96-'97. They have a bypass kit to install that will improve coolant flow to the back head.

The only real solution is a flush every year though. If this is not addressed it will eat a hole in the head between the cylinders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back