How to find used cars?

How would you find a specific model used car if you were looking for one?

Back in the day, everybody would look in their local newspaper classified section for a used car, but nobody reads the newspaper anymore. Nobody uses Facebook because I think Facebook cancelled the classified section, or maybe that's the jobs section; not sure. Nobody uses Craigslist anymore either. The thing is, I don't like the new cars because of their complexity. I would prefer to have something easy to maintain, like a 2005 Buick Park Avenue Ultra; where do I find one of those in mint condition? :)

Last edited:
I found my Shadow in Nevada on Facebook Marketplace. Cars.com, AutoTrader, CarGurus, Craigslist (use abundant caution) are all sources I've used in the past.

I bought my Escape at Carmax back in 2010 and 10 years later a Jaguar at Vroom. Both were in immaculate condition when I got them. I still have them both without any issues. I bought a Kawasaki Ninja at mom & pop motorcycle dealer advertised on Craigslist several years ago. The Isuzu was bought brand new in 1984 advertised in a local newspaper New Year's sale. All of my vehicles are well maintained and well kept.

I bought my Escape at Carmax back in 2010 and 10 years later a Jaguar at Vroom. Both were in immaculate condition when I got them. I still have them both without any issues. I bought a Kawasaki Ninja at mom & pop motorcycle dealer advertised on Craigslist several years ago. The Isuzu was bought brand new in 1984 advertised in a local newspaper New Year's sale. All of my vehicles are well maintained and well kept.
A ten year old Jaguar without issues is a rarity into itself......

Everybody drives a used car. If you see something you like maybe parked somewhere try to find the owner and ask him/her if they'd like to sell it. Like asking a woman for a date. Be prepared for a rejection. Most times even if they say no (99%) they will still be flattered and not annoyed. Leave a note on the windshield if you can't wait on the owner. I'm eyeing a very nice Mercedes 300d I've seen parked sometimes in my neighborhood.

This strategy works well with older, interesting cars. Something newer and the owner might think you are a carjacker.

Like suggested above, autotrader will allow you search by distance/zip code. IMO, that's your best bet unless you want to involve a dealer or some pay service to locate you what you want.

Everybody drives a used car. If you see something you like maybe parked somewhere try to find the owner and ask him/her if they'd like to sell it. Like asking a woman for a date. Be prepared for a rejection. Most times even if they say no (99%) they will still be flattered and not annoyed. Leave a note on the windshield if you can't wait on the owner. I'm eyeing a very nice Mercedes 300d I've seen parked sometimes in my neighborhood.

This strategy works well with older, interesting cars. Something newer and the owner might think you are a carjacker.
These strategies were useful +3 years ago.

These days, anything/everything is worth more than others are offering. Most who want to purchase it, want it at a discounted rate because they think the owner is too ignorant to know their vehicle's value. I have been approached from everyone including individuals, mechanics and dealerships about both my cars - one a newer Honda, the other an older BMW.

At this point it's gone past the point of flattery.
Now it's downright annoying.
:mad:

I think you are stuck hitting up CL, FB, Autrader and who knows what else.

Look every few hours. The good deals wont last.

all my cars i wait for my friends to get fed up with their beaters and then i buy them, do all the maintenance the previous owner thought was too hard/too expensive, and get myself a $500 beater. the cheapest cars are ones people were too lazy to sell, so they just parked them and forgot about them. I've never spent more than $600 on a car and I've had 4. now if the car is $600 you probably going to spend another $600 to get it back to a safe and comfortable driving condition. some cars are actual lemons, where you cant get parts or everything is broken. those get resold fast or sent to the picknpull

Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace are the places to look. At least in my area. Found several of the cars I’m looking for on there just don’t have any money to buy them lol. Sometimes you find some real junk on there but sometimes you’ll find a gem.

Autotrader; filter to 100 miles of your radius and choose older model years, aka <2008

Nobody uses Facebook because I think Facebook cancelled the classified section,
Come again?

Facebook Market Place. Mostly a cesspool because it's free and loaded with scammers and anybody with a rotting heap in the driveway can post a one sentence ad with three pictures of the front of the car taken at night and list it for $5,000 thinking some dumb sucker will take it off their hands. Also, searching by attributes is nearly worthless.

Craigslist. Gotten a lot better since they started charging $5 for the ads a few years ago. Scammers nearly all gone and more realistically priced vehicles. Good for sellers too as less competition makes their own ad stand out better. Very good search function.

Ebay. Great for finding rare, classic and unusual vehicles nationally. The auction format can bring more money than expected, especially if you're not sure what your car is worth, but as a buyer, some cars become over priced.

Cars and Bids, Bring a Trailer. Like Ebay but higher end cars.

Maybe we ought to have a marketplace right here for members to sell (unload) their cars to other members. OTOH maybe not, could cause hard feelings. At least we'd know how the cars were maintained.

Forgot to mention, if you have a particular car in mind, join some model-specific groups on Facebook. It can really help you get the jump on a car you really like when people post that they're thinking about selling, but haven't created an ad anywhere yet.

Screenshot_20230307-184408-729.jpg

Back