How to find out the viscosity of a fork oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have gotten myself a quart of IP 20W fork oil
The viscosity chart on 2 of its official documentation state it has a VI of 155

AND a cst@40 of either 45 OR 104

Im currently living in 20-25 deg C temps with mobil 1 racing 0W50/0W30 and redline 5W40

all of which I have data on CST@40/100 AND VI

Any "ghetto" ways to make a fairly accurate deduction on the the viscosity of the IP FA 20W?

Any equipment i can get at walmart for this experiment and steps needed will be much appreciated!

Last edited:
nope, im just trying to find out the CORRECT viscosity out of the 2 data sets (obviously only one is correct)

The problematic data as shown:

ipfa01.jpg

and

ipfa02.jpg

Last edited:
If you got shock oil in the forks already - pour some into a clear cylindrical container. Then pour a little of the other 2 in separate containers. Hold them up and "shake" them forward and back.

Watch how high the oil travels "up" the sides of the container and the overall angle it makes. High viscosity won't move like lower viscosity.

It should give you a good enough visual representation of what you currently got compared to the other two you bought to make a decision.

Originally Posted By: vo_marz
I have gotten myself a quart of IP 20W fork oil
The viscosity chart on 2 of its official documentation state it has a VI of 155

AND a cst@40 of either 45 OR 104

Im currently living in 20-25 deg C temps with mobil 1 racing 0W50/0W30 and redline 5W40

all of which I have data on CST@40/100 AND VI

Any "ghetto" ways to make a fairly accurate deduction on the the viscosity of the IP FA 20W?

Any equipment i can get at walmart for this experiment and steps needed will be much appreciated!

A 20W fork oil is around 8.0 cSt at 100C and 35 cSt at 40C.

So compare it to a DexIII/Merc ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back