How to drain and fill Power transfer unit Ford Escape (clone)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to service the PTU of a new to me 2005 Ford Escape clone with 4wd and Manual Trans. (actually Mazda Tribute). Does PTU (transfer case in Mazda terms) have a drain bolt? Have not found it from looking.
Where is the fill bolt? Is the fill bolt the one marked with red arrow in attached picture. Thanks.

FORD ESCAPE 2006 TRANSFER CASE (PTU) DRAWING 0996b43f8020886e.jpg

TRANSFER CASE FORD ESCAPE MANUAL TRANS 2005-9 2.5L VIN7 8TH DIGIT MANUAL EBAY ITEM 117440  CAPTION.j

view from front bottom TRANSFER CASE MAZDA TRIB IMG_1747s.jpg

view from rear TRANSFER CASE MAZDA TRIB IMG_1748s.jpg

How to change PTU oil in 2015 Explorer Sport ($50k vehicle)

1) order all kind of tools and fittings hoping it will be easier
2) when that fails get muffler shop to move exhaust … wrap pipes
3) when that fails roll out on creeper sounding like a sailor … crazy one
4) when wife comes over to see what the fuss is about ask her if she wants a nice Tahoe
5) change FF in Tahoe transfer case in 15 minutes … enjoy superb vehicle for years to come

The end

Its too bad they did everything so screwy on the Explorers. My mom's 2014 Fusion Titanium has both drain and fill plugs not only on the PTU but on the rear diff.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Its too bad they did everything so screwy on the Explorers. My mom's 2014 Fusion Titanium has both drain and fill plugs not only on the PTU but on the rear diff.

Nice … we also have a 2014 Fusion Titanium … but FWD Hybrid … In today's world of weird car designs … I still like looking at that car …

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD

Nice … we also have a 2014 Fusion Titanium … but FWD Hybrid … In today's world of weird car designs … I still like looking at that car …

It was her call to get the AWD, her 2000 Grand Marquis was totaled by an inattentive driver smashing it in front of the house. She went to Ford.com and built the car exactly how she wanted it, gave me the paper, and told me to take it to my work and make them find one for her. Its Dark Side with the optional twin spoke 19s.

I did the PTU fluid on our '05 Mariner a few years ago, and I'm 99% sure it had a drain plug on the opposite side of the case from the fill plug.

This post was a good reminder that it's overdue for another fluid change, that was over 90K miles ago. Will grab another bottle of Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140 next weekend and get back under it.

Also, I just did a quick search and found this vid showing the drain and fill plugs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9CxN3RO62Q

Originally Posted by crainholio
I did the PTU fluid on our '05 Mariner a few years ago, and I'm 99% sure it had a drain plug on the opposite side of the case from the fill plug.

This post was a good reminder that it's overdue for another fluid change, that was over 90K miles ago. Will grab another bottle of Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140 next weekend and get back under it.

Update: it has a small drain plug, it's on the same side of the case as the fill plug...both face the passenger side of the vehicle. Logbook shows I put in Mobil-1 75W-140 at 89K miles in 2011.

At 193K miles, 8 years and over 100K miles later, what came out was dark brown but still translucent as it poured out...no signs of contamination or overheating. The fluid level was below the fill plug when I removed it. Small amount of gray paste on the fill plug magnet (drain plug is tiny and has no magnet). Refilled from a partial quart bottle of RedLine 75W-140 that I had on the shelf, the unit only holds 12oz according to the manual.

As a sidenote, the rear diff was filled at the same 89K service and with same Mobil-1 gear lube. Still level at the fill plug and the sample I pulled with a syringe was also brown translucent. No drain plug, have to pull the cover...not gonna happen as the fluid is fine. These vehicles drive the front wheels and only add the rears during slippage, so the rear diff is having an easy life.

Thanks for the update.
Was looking for where is drain plug and where is fill plug for my Transfer Case for my Mazda Tribute, clone of 2005 Ford Escape 4 cylinder, manual trans, 4 wheel drive. Is Mariner the same drivetrain as mine? Or is yours Auto Trans. Able to find pictures and videos for transfer case for Auto Transmission but not manual trans. I have manual trans. The transfer case for Manual Trans is not same as for Auto Trans or Hybrid. The 4 cyl, MT, 4wd drivetrain is rare so I have found no specific instructions about transfer case (or PTU) drain plug and fill plug for manual trans, 4cyl, 4 wheel drive.
PICTURE 1, transfer case removal for 4cyl, manual trans, 4 wheel drive model. drawing
PICTURE 2, transfer case automatic transmission model (not my model), 4 wheel drive showing fill bolt on passenger's side. Drain bolt on driver's side not shown.

Thanks.

FORD ESCAPE 2006 TRANSFER CASE (PTU) DRAWING FOR MANUAL TRANS 0996b43f8020886e.jpg

FORD ESCAPE TRANSFER CASE AUTO TRANS FROM CHILTON.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD

My 2017 Fusion Sport (2.7 EcoBoost AWD) has drain and fill plugs for the water-cooled PTU, but I couldn't see anything for the rear differential. I changed the PTU fluid in my 2014 Taurus SHO (no drain plug, only fill plug) and rear differential oil, and found the rear diff oil to look almost new at 30k miles. The PTU oil is the only one I'd recommend changing regularly. There's not much going on with the rear differential unless you are drifting on a track or racing, especially because these are almost all open differentials (except for a few like the Focus RS, MKZ with torque-vectoring rear diffs that can overheat with prolonged track use).

My 2018 Explorer XLT AWD only has a fill plug for the PTU. The D3/D4 Explorer/Taurus PTUs that have drain plugs won't have fill plugs and are either filled via the vent tube or temperature sensor. The ones that don't have drain plugs will have fill plugs. Ford's CD3/CD4 platform PTUs seem to have fill/drain plugs for the PTUs.

Originally Posted by metroplex

My 2018 Explorer XLT AWD only has a fill plug for the PTU. The D3/D4 Explorer/Taurus PTUs that have drain plugs won't have fill plugs and are either filled via the vent tube or temperature sensor. The ones that don't have drain plugs will have fill plugs. Ford's CD3/CD4 platform PTUs seem to have fill/drain plugs for the PTUs.

Our 2017 2.3 EB Explorer XLT 4WD has a drain plug and fill plug on the PTU. And being a 4 cylinder the fill plug/port is easy to access without the exhaust wrapped around the PTU. The drain plug is on the underside of the PTU, making it real easy to drain completely.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back