how to disable doubleslick, tacoda, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ever go to a website that uses doubleclick? check out a random website http://dogs.about.com/

if you go there, it adds a second site called doubleclick to the first, so if you press the back button, you must press backwards twice to actually go back. i really freakin hate this ad wish i could disable it.

ebay is doing the same thing now. if you use ebay.com, and do a search, the search goes through a second page called tacoda.net. sometimes it goes through yahoo advertising too. if you press back button on the browser, you sometimes have to press back 3-4 times just to actually go back. its sooooo annoying.
if i could disable that i would. can someone tell me how, because im crawling up the walls over ebay.

If you are running Firefox, take a look at the NoScript Add-On that could help.

Another Add-On that I use is Adblock-Plus

Another solution could be by setting up the Hosts File. See the following web site.

Link To Web Site

Notice there are special instructions for Windows Vista.

Hope this helps?

For you Ubuntu Linux users here is a link for the hosts files method.

Link To Web Page

If you search for Linux and Hosts file on the net, you will find how you can block adds in other distributions of Linux,
Mac OS, etc.

As always make sure you do a backup of your Hosts file lst!

I just modify my hosts file so that the domain name for doubleclick, etc resolves to 127.0.0.1 (localhost)

The hosts file on W2K and XP (probably Vista) is in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

something like this:

127.0.0.1 pagead.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 ad.ca.doubleclick.net

ive already done the hosts file, but that doesnt stop ie from clicking through doubleclick tacoda or yahoo.
hosts file only blocks websites, it doesnt disable clickthroughs.

I may as well 3nd it
grin.gif
Just get Firefox and No Script and you never have to deal with that garbage again. No Script always tells you what blocks and you can allow it through if you want....

i really dont like using 3rd party web browsers since internet explorer is the defacto industry standard and more websites are built for ie than any other, but you guts convinced me to give firefox a try.
ive used it before and i liked it.

ok firefox disales tacoda and doubleclock second sites. great and i love it, but firefox isnt polished line internet explorer is.
on ie, my extra monitor space is fully utilised. i have twin 19 inch wide screens. in firefox, theres this huge gap on the left and right thats empty. this space could be filled. firefox's right click to disable ads is great though. the scahher ad at the bottom and top of the page? gone. wish ie had that.

i guess i am tuning into a winer now? ill just deal with it.
thanks fellas.

ok slightly longer term update. firefox is got 3 features that i really like. a spell checker, and a image blocker that you just right click the image and select block. its also got better support for disabling doubleclick, tacoda, etc.

but it crashes if you right click a flash video while popup pops up to ask you weather or not to accept a cookie. it also doesnt play nice with live.com i cant get it to logue into my live account for the life of me.

ie has always been a salt of the earth sock solid browser that wouldnt crash no matter what. so i guess ill keep ie around got live.com, but that annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back