How to determine if check valve or no check valve

I had my CX-9 into the Mazda service center for some maintenance, and one of the service techs asked my if the oil filter that's on the vehicle now (a Wix 57002 which I installed myself) has a check valve in it. He said the OEM filter has one, which he said is required by Mazda. He said if it doesn't have one it could damage the turbo. Is there any way to check if this particular filter has one, and if not, which ones do? Thanks.

Not sure but I do know that Mazda has a specific OEM oil filter for the turbo SkyActiv motor. If it were me I would stick with the Mazda Roki filters. They are good.

The check valve is called an anti-drainback valve (ADBV). It prevents oil from draining through the filter to the pan from the engine oil galleries.

You can see it through the peripheral holes in the filter base (not the center hole). Amazon Q&A leads me to believe that this filter does NOT have an ADBV.

The tech you spoke with could very easily have shown you an OE filter to show you the "check valve"

An additional thought; lately when I stop by my local Mazda dealer to purchase the oil filter for my naturally aspirated 2.5, they double check with me on the year and model trim.

Before, they had a large shelf with one size of filter. It didn’t matter which Mazda you owned, you got the same filter. Now they have a second shelf with the filters for turbo engines.

The check valve is called an anti-drainback valve (ADBV). It prevents oil from draining through the filter to the pan from the engine oil galleries.

You can see it through the peripheral holes in the filter base (not the center hole). Amazon Q&A leads me to believe that this filter does NOT have an ADBV.

The tech you spoke with could very easily have shown you an OE filter to show you the "check valve"

It's possible the Mazda service tech is talking about an "anti-siphon check valve" located in the center tube ... different from the ADBV.

I just ordered two Mazda filters from realmazdaparts.com. They were only $6.XX a piece.

RockAuto says there's no anti-drainback valve: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3898890

If you can check the filter in a store, blow into the center hole, and if it resists, then it has a check valve. The store may let you keep the filter if you do this.

Can someone explain why an anti-drainback valve would be necessary when the filter hangs upside-down, whered oil won't drain out of it?

I have a 2018 Toyota Yaris IA a re-badged Mazda 2...I use the Wix 57002 with no problems...I also researched this when I purchased a filter and it had no anti-drainback valve...

Tech is full of crap. If Wix 57002 is the spec filter mazda filter equivalent doesn't have an ADBV. Using a filter with an ADBV has no negative affect, I have done so for 10k miles using M1-108a.

Can someone explain why an anti-drainback valve would be necessary when the filter hangs upside-down, whered oil won't drain out of it?

If the ADBV isn't sealing, any oil located above the filter could still drain out of the galleries back through the filter due to gravity. The filter may still be full of oil, but the galleries above it could be void of oil.

Tech is full of crap. If Wix 57002 is the spec filter mazda filter equivalent doesn't have an ADBV. Using a filter with an ADBV has no negative affect, I have done so for 10k miles using M1-108a.
Using a filter with ADBV wouldn't have a negative effect, but using one without it could...

Using a filter with ADBV wouldn't have a negative effect, but using one without it could...
The mazda OEM filter does not have one, I'm talking about this application. If by check valve the tech means ADBV, the tech is clearly wrong.

The mazda OEM filter does not have one, I'm talking about this application. If by check valve the tech means ADBV, the tech is clearly wrong.
I'm not too worried about it now, I'm using Mazda's filter...they should which filter belongs on this vehicle, valve or no valve....

Tokyo Roki PE01-14-302B does not have an ADBV. I did a C&P. Since TinyPic deleted the photos, here is the one of concern.
F1528E31-A522-45A7-BC78-A23507406D59.jpeg

After researching this further, the turbo engines may be specified to have a filter with the ADBV.

The naturally aspirated engines are specified to have a filter without the ADBV.

As near as I can tell, the WIX 57002 does not have the ADBV.

The WIX 51365 does have the ADBV.

Mazda could make this easier.

Last edited:
Back