How to deep clean back of wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I attempted to clean the back of one of my wheels on my 2003 Ford Focus. I had some success, but not what I had in mind. I used Super Clean at full strength with a wheel brush, but for as good as it is, it didn't get it anywhere close to what it should be (which is spotless). My wheels look to have have specks of tar on the back as well as heavy brake dust that has probably been on there since the car was manufactured. Quite a bit of brake dust came off, but nothing close to all of it.

Is there anything a little more potent anyone can suggest to really get the back of my wheels clean? I see that Eagle One has a wheel cleaner product that I hear is good, but I'm open to suggestions. I am open to even using a combination of products as well as techniques.

I use Griot's heavy duty wheel cleaner. It's best to spray and let it soak for 10 minutes before agitating it with a brush. You'll notice the spray turns purple as it breaks down the dust.

Often times this surface will get oxidized on aluminum wheels and then there is no getting it off.

You can try alternating various sprays and a stiff brush, but you'll be lucky to get it anywhere close to what it appears that you want.

Good luck!
cheers3.gif

You could try a decontamination spray which will turn purple. After that scrub with nylon or soft cotton rags. Repeat a few times. Use old pieces of detailing clay too.

Eagle One A2Z wheel cleaner will literally melt tar without harming most wheel finishes. Brake dust, though, must be wiped off with a brush or a sponge or a towel.

Assuming you're actually trying to clean the inner barrel of the wheel, then a proper set of brushes like this should last a lifetime and will get into most wheels.

https://www.autogeek.net/daytona-speed-master-brushes.html

But in the end, nothing will beat taking off the wheel and cleaning it that way. I rotated my tires this week and in the process wiped down the wheels really well using some 303 Aerospace.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
But in the end, nothing will beat taking off the wheel and cleaning it that way.

That is what I did.

I'd probably argue that the standard of spotless on a 2003 focus, unless maintained to that quality from day 1, is excessive and unachievable without mechanical work.

My recommendation would be to remove the wheels, go at them with wheel woolies and then a stiffer brush, and call that a day. Otherwise scuff with a Roloc pad or red scotchbrite or similar, and plan to recoat.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Meguiar's Wheel Brightener.

i got some audi alloy wheels for free. the backs looked like they were never cleaned . tried purple power and it did not dent it. bought some meguires wheel brightener . sprayed it let is sit and used a wheel brush. first applicaation 90 % of the brake dust came off. second app and it was close to 99%. this stuff is magic. it no wonder so many people recomend it

When I rotate the tires I clean the inside of the wheel every time. A little spray bottle of purple power and a rag, the dust will not have enough time to build up.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
When I rotate the tires I clean the inside of the wheel every time. A little spray bottle of purple power and a rag, the dust will not have enough time to build up.

Same, but I use whatever wheel cleaner I have on hand. Either Griots or Mothers. Give them a good scrubbing on the front lawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back