How-to Confirm a Failed ADBV?

My HEMI engine developed a nasty rattle at cold start-up. The rattle lasts for about 2 seconds.

I am hopeful this noise is caused by a faulty ADBV. The current filter is a Genuine Mopar MO-339 with 1600 miles on it. If I dissect this filter after removal, is there a way to confirm the faulty ADBV?
I would replace the filter with a new one. See if the noise goes away.

Don’t think there is any way to tell if faulty though, unless it just looks bad (obvious physical damage such as tears or perforations). Seems like someone recently posted a filter with adbv off center.

Maybe the 0W-20 is leaking down at the chain tensioner(s) or hydraulic lifters, even if the filter ADBV is working. You have two possible causes ... oil filter, or oil ... or maybe a combo of both.
I don’t think this is an oil issue. The noise does not present itself during warm restarts.

When the oil cools back down to room temperature, 0W will a a bit more viscous then 5W ... but probably wouldn't matter.

Question for the OP is, how long does the engine have to sit to get the start-up noise? And does it now happen on every single cold start-up?
How would a 0w be more viscous than a 5w? You're right though, I really don't think the difference would matter either way.

Last edited:
A properly functioning adbv on a vertically mounted oil filter will keep the oil in the upper parts of the engine.

Check out your owners manual. I don’t know if it’s in your manual for the 5.7 but in the manual for the 6.4 it states that it is normal for valve train rattle to occur. Especially if driven for a short duration and then restarted or sitting for a while.
States that it will not harm the engine. It is normal.

How would a 0w be more viscous than a 5w? You're right though, I really don't think the difference would matter either way.
One easy way is for one to be a 5W-20 and the other a 0W-40. But a serious answer is that it's completely temperature dependent. Above -30 or so it is quite possible for an oil with a lower winter rating to be thicker than one with a higher rating even within the same grade. It happens all the time when comparing ILSAC oils with certain European approvals, such as with the old green Castrol. One is not a "0 weight" and the other a "5 weight".

Maybe the 0W-20 is leaking down at the chain tensioner(s) or hydraulic lifters, even if the filter ADBV is working. You have two possible causes ... oil filter, or oil ... or maybe a combo of both.
0w20 but not 5w20? I doubt the viscosity change had anything to do with it. Both are nearly identical in viscosity with current weather conditions.

"...during warm restarts..."
this indicates short period between shut off/restart.
Different lengths of periods between restarts (over nite & 10 min or 1 hr) and listening for the valve clatter
might offer some information as well. (ie not the ADBV)

One easy way is for one to be a 5W-20 and the other a 0W-40. But a serious answer is that it's completely temperature dependent. Above -30 or so it is quite possible for an oil with a lower winter rating to be thicker than one with a higher rating even within the same grade. It happens all the time when comparing ILSAC oils with certain European approvals, such as with the old green Castrol. One is not a "0 weight" and the other a "5 weight".
I was responding to Zee's comment to dtyler post #19, 0w20 vs 5w20, so both 20 grades.

It sounds exactly like this:

This is my first time using a 0W-20 - not sure if this has anything to do with it.

I previously ran M1 and 5W-20's....never heard this noise until now.

Not going to attempt to debate the chemistry of different oil weights however there is sound reasoning a manufacturer specs an oil weight for their engines.

If your engine was quiet until this last oil change then what else could it be…..?
Filter? Oil?

Not going to attempt to debate the chemistry of different oil weights however there is sound reasoning a manufacturer specs an oil weight for their engines.

If your engine was quiet until this last oil change then what else could it be…..?
Filter? Oil?
Filter. The new RAM's with the 5.7L spec 0W-20, and we've been using 0W-20 in ours its entire life.
Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 9.30.13 AM.jpg

Very creative description. Appreciate a well turned phrase. Bravo!
Thank you.

I was in fact going to say "oleaginous operation" to amplify the alliteration, but alternatively I used the descriptive definitiveness of "dissection."

Back