How-to Confirm a Failed ADBV?

No it isn't impossible but it was implied that 0w is a bit more viscous than 5w in general, post #19.
It is as temperature is decreased. That's why one is a 0W and the other is a 5W. But at say 60-70F the difference probably wouldn't make a real difference in a long term leak down in the oiling system.

The OP just needs to install a different oil filter to see if the noise stops, and if so then it was the ADBV. Only change one variable at a time is the only way to do proper trouble-shooting.

"...Only change one variable at a time is the only way to do proper trouble-shooting...."
aahahahaa part of my sig on nother forum/site

When the oil cools back down to room temperature, 0W will a a bit more viscous then 5W ... but probably wouldn't matter.
Will depend on the VI of course. Yes, some of the 0W-20's have a lower VI and will be more viscous than some 5W-20's, but I think typically, most 5W-20 have a lower VI than the 0W-20's.

The OP just needs to install a different oil filter to see if the noise stops, and if so then it was the ADBV. Only change one variable at a time is the only way to do proper trouble-shooting.
I'll get to it once it isn't 136F on my driveway. ;)

1662704277604.jpg

Makes the reader pause and enjoy the melody of the prose. Too rare in this day of deranged distemperate diatribes so common.

Tell me you are a Volvo owner, without actually telling me you are a Volvo owner.

That noise is random. I have had new car ram preps do it and others not. May do it one time may do it every so often.

From my understanding it’s lifters bled down possibly being in a certain state when engine is shut down.

There is somewhere I saw that it can happen after starting it shortly and shutting it off. Can’t find the reference for it now however 🤷

Would however when you get time try a different filter like fram titanium or ultra

Back