How to clean fluid transfer pump

I bought a pump to get the fluid in my diffs/transfer case. I did my front few days ago but it of course is a different fluid than what goes in the transfer case.

So I'm probably overthinking this, but I need to reuse the pump for the Tcase but it has to have the other oil removed first right? Empty the bottle, clean it out, clean the lines... do you guys just let it drip out for an hour and then fill the punp and pump a few shots of the new fluid out into a waste tank before pumping the fluid in the tcase, or do you use a cleaner to get it all out first etc etc.

Is a response without data acceptable?
I'd think there'd be too little previous fluid left over to matter.
However, if it bothered me, I would do as you suggest-start pumping the next fluid and send a shot or two into the waste tank.
This is probably what I'd do. But you're probably right, the trace amount left after a decent draining likely won't matter.

A new, clear plastic fluid transfer pump was in a "house sale" box of car stuff I just bought. I'm glad to have a 'backup'.
Contamination is not my fear. I'm preparing myself for either one or both 20-year-old plastic toy-tools to explode.
It'll be pushing 90-140 gear oil.

Q: While we're on the subject.
If you found lumps (whatever) while sucking out an unopenable front diff and decided a rinse wouldn't hurt,....
Would you use some other fluid/solvent to aid the process? ...or just rinse with gear oil?

Q: While we're on the subject.
If you found lumps (whatever) while sucking out an unopenable front diff and decided a rinse wouldn't hurt,....
Would you use some other fluid/solvent to aid the process? ...or just rinse with gear oil?
only gear oil.. but a "rinse" is almost worthless.. maybe a short run and change again.
Not much you can do without being able to take off a cover.

Is a response without data acceptable?
I'd think there'd be too little previous fluid left over to matter.
However, if it bothered me, I would do as you suggest-start pumping the next fluid and send a shot or two into the waste tank.
Save the oil for oil can use etc.

Just get a cheap pump like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LDMXNSO

After you drain the TC, fill it up until it starts tripping. Then, on level ground, put the truck on ramps or lift the rear about 6 inches off the ground. Then put some more fluid in the TC. These are meant to be filled when they are level, or as close to level as possible.

Use some Permatex white thread sealant on the plug threads if they're tapered, and don't tighten them more than 15 ft-lb.

Back