How to clean a diesel fuel tank full of algae/debris?

Just bought a (reliable POS) 1995 Mercedes C250 5 cylinder for dirt cheap because the fuel system was clogged with algae and debris, had to improvise a fuel tank with a bottle to bring the car home. Now i have to rid the tank of all the crap. I want to do it once and do it right as the car will be used for work purposes and i need it to be reliable. What do you suggest?

Familiar with the problem from marine applications. Not experienced with autos, though. A biocide from a marine store is a starting point. Here's a thread with some Benz-heads who've done it successfully:

https://www.benzworld.org/threads/algae-in-the-fuel-tank.1457954/

Once you get the tank clean, you probably want to still add a lot of biocide and drive it that way a while to get the post-tank lines and equipment fully clean.

Power Service makes an additive you can put in the tank. Obviously you want to drain what’s in there and install a new fuel filter. I’d at the PS to a fresh tank and change the filter after you drive it for a while.

Just my $0.02

Does the tank have a fuel pump opening large enough to get your arm in? If so, some detergent and towels with elbow grease followed by a good rinse and air dry.

Here is how to get into the fuel tank and clean it. Small arms can get in, or a mop of sorts.

I've done it to a 1992 W124 after getting bad fuel.

Also replace the pre-filter and main fuel filter in the engine compartment. Buy extras. You may have to replace them more than once.

Then use a biocide in the first few tanks to kill everything in the fuel lines.

Thanks. I am not going to drive the car for one or two weeks because i have rust to fix but i'm going to get some biocide product and pour it in the tank, let it sit for a while, drain, filter, pour it back in, drain until the fuel comes out clearer. When i feel safe about this i'll start driving the car while still using the product for a while and always cary a few extra pre-filters and filters.

Back