How to check wifi app usage on iPhone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife has an iPhone 7. It's been generating huge amount of WAN traffic in/out of my home network. Around 50 GB in just 1 day yesterday (30 GB download, 20 GB upload). Wife says she wasn't even watching any videos on her phone.

Is there a way to track down which of her apps is generating this traffic? I can see cellular usage, but not wifi usage. Google mentioned something called "WiFi Assist", but turning it on does not show any wifi usage as far as I can see.

I'm a total iPhone newb.

So the behaviour ceases when it's on Cellular? IE, it doesn't show massive amounts of data usage for a particular app under Cellular usage?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
So the behaviour ceases when it's on Cellular? IE, it doesn't show massive amounts of data usage for a particular app under Cellular usage?
It shows quite a bit of cellular usage for some apps, like Facebook, for the current cycle which is from the beginning of February, I believe. But how does that help me on the WiFi side?

I was more curious as to whether the behaviour was exclusive to WiFi or not.

Does your router not show where that traffic is going?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Does your router not show where that traffic is going?

When I look at logs, I can see a lot of connections from her LAN IP to various google addresses such as 172.217.4.42, but I don't know if that is what is generating all this traffic. There are plenty other IP addresses present as well.

So it doesn't give you traffic breakdown by host or destination? Here's what Sophos XG shows for example:

Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 2.42.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 2.43.20 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back