How to change signal bulb, '11 Buick Regal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you with modern Buick Regals: I've changed my share of bulbs in my driving life, but this one has me floored. The LR turn signal has gone out. Manual says to remove the trim cover inside the trunk, then undo two wingnuts; and I've done that. But I see no way to get the light assembly out!

1) The manual tells me, once the wingnuts are off, to lift the tail lamp assembly out. But it doesn't move in the slightest. When I feel around in there, it seems that it is not a separate piece, that the bulbs are within the body shell itself. Now my car is a German-built (Russelsheim) model. Is it possible that the Canadian-built cars have a different setup from the German-built ones, and I have the wrong manual? (It's been known to happen. My manual does not have the instructions for changing the A/C filter, for example, but the online version of the 2011 Regal manual does.)

2) Even if the assembly comes off, I don't think it can be maneuvered out through that hole in the stiff felt trunk liner. Is it possible to get to it by removing or loosening the liner? If so, how? There's a flat button-with-washer (I think) up along the fender. How does that come off?

Any help appreciated!

I'll have a look at that when I get to work tomorrow; thanks! Am I right in thinking the liner has to come off?

That looked very neat. How does that flat button come off? I've tried prying at it with a screwdriver, but I'm worried I'll break it.

I thought it might be something like that. Well, from the video, it looks like I might be able to simply push or pull the entire taillight assembly-plus-lens away from the body once I undo the wingnuts. The video shows her popping the button and moving the trunk liner to get to the wingnuts -- but my car has the trim cover over the access hole. I'll give it a try today or tomorrow and report back.

All done. The car in the video didn't have the trim cover for access to the wingnuts; mine does. So, as with most things, It's Easy When You Know How. Since the package had two bulbs, I may go ahead and change the turn signal on the right, just so I won't have the spare bulb kicking around.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Since the package had two bulbs, I may go ahead and change the turn signal on the right, just so I won't have the spare bulb kicking around.

Or put it in the glove box and change the next bulb that goes bad, assuming its the same part number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back