How to care for cutting deck underside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a killer deal on a 2009 Cub Cadet SLTX1050. I had to remove the 50" deck to fit everything in my utility trailer and saw a heavy buildup of clumped grass on the underside. The PO said he never cleaned it and didn't bother using the built in "deckwash". I cleaned the underside with a plastic putty knife then powerwashed it. At least 1/3 of the area is bare metal, some rusted. I'm guessing spray can Rustoleum would be totally ineffective. Any suggestions?

I would just clean it with the built in deck wash then once a year a good cleaning.

or you could try something like "mow deck" its 8-10$ a can

Originally Posted By: RRich
I just got a killer deal on a 2009 Cub Cadet SLTX1050. I had to remove the 50" deck to fit everything in my utility trailer and saw a heavy buildup of clumped grass on the underside. The PO said he never cleaned it and didn't bother using the built in "deckwash". I cleaned the underside with a plastic putty knife then powerwashed it. At least 1/3 of the area is bare metal, some rusted. I'm guessing spray can Rustoleum would be totally ineffective. Any suggestions?

Amsoil Heavy-Duty Metal Protector has worked well for me

Bare metal in inevitable under or on top of a deck. Just use the built in deck/hose cleaning system and you will be fine.

I owned two Cubs with the "deck wash system". A 2544 and a Z-Force 44. Man what a joke that "system" is. It does little more than make a huge mess and soak things that shouldn't be soaked.

IMO, it's never a good idea to flood deck spindles/hardware with water. Yes they can handle the normal moisture associated with mowing grass, but they're not designed to be 'submersed'.

A plastic or wood scraper and a leaf blower are your friends when it comes to deck cleaning.

Bare spots underneath are no problem if you keep grass build-up off of it. The deck will outlive the machine.

More importantly, set that deck so it 'hangs' off the machine when mowing and doesn't ride the ground. Letting that 50" bang along the ground will kill it, along with the hanging/suspension components.

Joel

Last edited:
If you have rust, I would get some "Extend" and clean the area a little with a wire brush then brush or spray on the Extend.

Grass can also sit on top of the mower deck, getting wet, clogging up any drain holes and causing rust.

I got a used but like new Toro with some minor rust under he deck. I cleaned it well and sprayed some "rust neutralizer" spray and then primer and then rubber under coat spray. After 1 season it seems to be holding up. Time will tell but if it comes off I'll just keep the heavy grass from building up with a weekly garden hose spray off. Not worth the time and effort to redo it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back