How to ask for raise/promotion

Pew

I've been at my current job at an Engineering firm since 2016 as an IT Helpdesk but I've been the only IT guy, taking care of the entire system, including servers, phones, desktop, every single program licenses, bills, etc. I do everything an IT director/manager does but I don't have the title or the pay to match and I've been really itching for a promotion and raise but I just don't know how to ask. It's annoying since people expect me to be able to work on anything that has a USB port or plugs into the wall but I'm trying to figure out just why am I taking care of all this when it's not even my job title too?

I know it'll be a big uphill battle. According to what some employees overheard, the owner of the company thinks I get "paid enough for my age." Also, while I've been doing IT since 2014, I don't have any certs or formal education in IT either so I'm kind of leery on my ability to find another IT job that is more than just a helpdesk position.

How should I approach my boss to ask for a raise and promotion?

EDIT: I'd also like to add that I sometimes help our IT consultants with their clients. They normally take care of any high level issues that I can't do related to VMware, Starwind, and Nakivo.

Last edited:
I might be inclined to not ask for a raise, but ask for them to pay for the certifications you need in order to actually work that position. If they agree to that, get the certifications, and on down the road, ask for the raise. If they don't give it, pack it in and take your new certifications somewhere that will pay you what you are worth.

I might be inclined to not ask for a raise, but ask for them to pay for the certifications you need in order to actually work that position. If they agree to that, get the certifications, and on down the road, ask for the raise. If they don't give it, pack it in and take your new certifications somewhere that will pay you what you are worth.

They do offer up to ~$2,500/year to pay for your education related to your job but you have to agree to stay with the company for 2 years after they pay. Any time under 2 years is prorated. I've been watching webinars for my certs but I've never gone to take the test - which I should stop being complacent and do it.

They do offer up to ~$2,500/year to pay for your education related to your job but you have to agree to stay with the company for 2 years after they pay. Any time under 2 years is prorated. I've been watching webinars for my certs but I've never gone to take the test - which I should stop being complacent and do it.
Seems like you've answered your own question.

First of all, what I'm typing is easier to type than it will be to say.

Most importantly: saying that you're "paid enough for your age" is a perfect example of discrimination. I would record the next conversation with the manager who said that, and try to get him to say that again. Huge lawsuit. Contact an attorney to pursue.

Barring that, find jobs with similar responsibilities, and check what the salaries are. If not listed, go interview and find out what they're offering. Once you've collected the info about these salaries and benefit packages, then go to your boss or HR department and show it to them. Tell them you're a loyal 7 year employee and, regardless of age that similar jobs in your field are paying x while you are only getting paid y, and you should receive a salary and benefits package in parity with your peers.

With several examples of fair pay for your position they should match at least the lowest (if you're in a really small company) and somewhere in the middle if a larger company. Not having the certifications, it's a great idea to go out and get them....but IMO they're just pieces of paper, however (sadly) that's what some companies' excuses will be for not paying.

You need to demonstrate your value to your organization. If you left, how long would it take for the new hire to learn what you do?

Certifications may add to your pay, but there are many people with more degrees than a thermometer and they lack common sense and or good problem solving skills.

I would list everything you do in your job. List any moments you stepped up and put in extra effort to get the job done.

One day you need to have that list, print it out If you need to refer to it. Speak to the boss and I say you'd like to discuss your performance.

List it all. Then ask of they value you in the organization and say that you don't feel like you are being compensated fairly.

Sometimes the thought of them losing a key player, makes them step up. You don't have to be cocky or arrogant about leaving, but man organizations can't train people for handling certain situations. You either have it or you don't.

Personally I'm 53 and I work as an IT consultant programming mainframes. I still volunteer for stuff other people would say no thanks that's too much work or three is no glory.

You gotta put in the work and learn when someone drops the ball, you step up and help out. Failure to do stuff like that doesn't make you valuable.

Stay positive and maybe you'll need to ask 2,3,4 or more times for a raise. If that doesn't happen, personally I'd look for another opportunity.

Do you have regular reviews by your supervisor or manager? If so, then that's the perfect time for this discussion/request. If not, then request one and go into it fully prepared with a list/overview/whatever of how valuable you are to the company and a reasonable request re compensation.

If you don't get what you feel you deserve, you should be prepared to find it elsewhere. I'm not a fan of demands or ultimatums, so my tendency is to quietly do what I need to do.

Request it during your review and in writing. So, your desire to move up is formally documented. Then work with your boss to lay out a formal career plan. Complete the tasks laid out in the plan. Which will show your dedication to your goals and your value to the organization. Then you should be good-to-go. If they say no to the career plan on the front end or stiff you on the back end. Look for a new job or be content with a dead end one.

Definitly get certifications; if I were you I would be working towards a 4 year degree, or more.
Talk to your boss about your thoughts and concerns. Ask what a career path looks like at your company.
Cite your duties and accomplishments and compare that to your job description.
Be polite, do not be demanding.
IT work is in demand. If your employeer does not value your work, find another employeer.

Good luck.

get your certifications done if the paying for it; do your work as you would normally do; let them know, start with your closest boss, indirectly let him know you're not happy, you're giving me hard time, nitpicking, etc etc so test the water; if he falls on dead ears talk to his boss; try to talk to few senior management people inline if possible; you have to give them some reasonable time to meet your wants; after lets say 1 year and no willingness to meet your wants/needs start to make a plan to exit out

now, as the corona time seems like it is being us, if economy start to restart and start to grow, you'll see many people switching jobs toward end of the year and onward; i'm in the same boat as you're asking for a promotion. I'm asking it indirectly thus far but meanwhile forging the exit plan if needed

GL

I started on the IT HelpDesk in 2016 at the company I work for, in 2018 I got a new position doing the IT Hardware, so I supplied, imaged, rebuilt, shipped, procured, etc. all IT stuff/computers. A few months ago I got a job in Microsoft Office 365 Administration at the same company. So I've got a very similar story.

There's a few things that matter. How big is the company you work for? Is there room for growth? What is your next step? Who are you friends with?

How it worked for me is my coworker and I went and sat down with the CIO and told him we felt we were underpaid and undervalued for our positions. We got a small increase but he set us on a path to train with other areas within IT that we were interested in and it grew into what it is now, my coworker became a software developer.

I'm not recommending you go to your C-level executive for this, as we all have different relationships with everyone. But I think instead of going and asking for a raise, look into what you want to do next and approach management with your ideas and ask how you can train to get there. What education is needed, how much time per week can you spend with someone else training etc.

Sounds you don't actually want to work in IT.
Eduction isn't everything. I have no IT certifications and I'm not concerned about growing. Doesn't mean I won't get any, but hardly any of my coworkers do either. My aunt is a VP of IT without IT certifications or a Bachelor's degree. She has a GED and an Associate's Degree. She excels at what she does.

Politely ask to discuss it with your boss. Be prepared to produce comparisons in your industry and region to support your case. If you do not get satisfactory results, quite and go work for a competitor.

My wife is a Healthcare administrator for a large home health company who has no degree or certification in the job she does. She works hard and speaks her mind as to how to make things better and has had several of her suggestions implemented. She flat told them at her annual review what she wanted as a raise and they hem hawed around. She later asked a friend at corporate office if she could use them as a reference and they called her back in and gave her the raise the next week.
Make yourself valuable and essential as backup to any wage request.

Pew,

What is your college degree in ?
Many large hospitals have IT openings that pay better than the owner of your company thinks you should be making. My nephew left a dead end IT job and got a $25K bump in pay at a big healthcare organization.

If you are doing everything an IT director/manager does but only getting paid for helpdesk type of work / skills...... then you should be updating your resume and look for a better paying job.

Sounds like the owner really doesn’t understand how important you are to his company and doesn’t appreciate your skill set needed to keep the IT and server wheels turning smoothly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips everyone. The company I work for has zero growth in IT. It's a medium-sized engineering firm and my direct manager is the VP of Operations which basically looks over all the departments so the only moving up is a title change/raise. It is a calm, mostly drama-less workplace where I do have free reign over the system; zero red tape approval unless it's big purchases. I was looking towards taking the cert tests but after I started studying MS decided to depreciate the Server 2012/2016 certs I was studying for and moved to whatever cert plan they have now and I kind of lost my motivation to take the tests after that. I will start studying again though since my job is paying for CBT nuggets and I just found out my local college is a testing place.

The current owner wasn't with the company when the previous IT manager was employed so I don't think she understands how much effort it took to modernize the entire system after the last guy left. It also sucks that the company owner just doesn't know how to run a business despite her very hard efforts. She's a GED teacher and not a certified engineer like her sister, the founder, was. She's pushed away a lot of our long term executive-level employees who have a lot of industry connections and I'm 99% sure my company will be sold within the next 5 years (somebody who has been there since the creation of the company 30 years ago just doesn't up and leave to a competitor but that's a whole 'nother story in itself.)

Last edited:
Lots of good advice above!

I'm the boss, and I give raises when I want. Which is regularly. I also make sure to pay enough to keep people from leaving.

However, I will side with the above posts in a slightly different way. Employees that get those "pieces of paper" are almost always the ones worth keeping, and remember, retention is accomplished by pay rate in any reasonable firm. It's not just the job performance, the personality and/or the hours worked, it's the dedication to the field, AND that is shown by qualifications.

Our flight department has 8 different aircraft. Imagine an airman (pilot or mechanic) who has just one qualification, and won't make the effort to become qualified on something else. We had that guy. His family was more important and quite simply, he absolutely would not pick up a book, sit in the cockpit and learn a new plane. Instead, he was heading home at 2:00 after his heli flight was done, to be with his wife and kids. Sorry, but that's not good enough and that is not what he was hired to do. He was hired to fly 2 different aircraft.

His inability to see what was needed, despite repeated attempts to coax him and directly tell him, resulted in hardship for his family as his source of income disappeared. He was a great helicopter pilot. His replacement was a great helicopter pilot and became a great Gulfstream pilot.

My qualifications on paper:
G650ER
G550
GV
GIV
GIII
PC-12
S-10
EC-135
MD 520N
MD 600N

Back