How to all-season UHP compare to a touring all-season?

I notice that the tires on a Mazda 3 is a category call UHP. I am not that familiar with the term. I buy cars when the old one runs down. The last car I own was from 1999, so they must have added that term at some point after 1999. What can you tell me about the characteristic compare to a regular all season tire or may be they are call all season touring tires? Do they have some sort of temperature crossover point where the performance degrades?

Paul

Originally Posted by Paul_Siu
I notice that the tires on a Mazda 3 is a category call UHP. I am not that familiar with the term. I buy cars when the old one runs down. The last car I own was from 1999, so they must have added that term at some point after 1999. What can you tell me about the characteristic compare to a regular all season tire or may be they are call all season touring tires? Do they have some sort of temperature crossover point where the performance degrades?

Paul

What Mazda 3? What engine is in?

UHP AS favors more dry cornering and often better grip in the wet, in exchange for long wear and comfort (noise & ride comfort)

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
UHP AS favors more dry cornering and often better grip in the wet, in exchange for long wear and comfort (noise & ride comfort)

And probably won't be as good in snow (if AS tire can be good in snow).

Originally Posted by edyvw

The people that buy Continental ExtremeContact DWS (06) thinks they are made for the snow... because the "S" in DWS means snow.

Pretty sure some non-UHPAS tires suck in the snow, like the Goodyear Assurance FuelMax or Michelin Energy Saver A/S

Last edited:

The people that buy Continental ExtremeContact DWS (06) thinks they are made for the snow... because the "S" in DWS means snow.

Pretty sure some non-UHPAS tires suck in the snow, like the Goodyear Assurance FuelMax or Michelin Energy Saver A/S

Yeah, they probably do suck in snow. IMO, any AS tire suck in snow. I have DWS on Tiguan, and except once going through 0.0025 inches of snow, I really cannot say anything about it.

Paul

It's a 2018 Mazda 3 GT with the 180 hp engine. I am not sure how that would factor in on the tire. The car is no speed demon.

Based on a video I was viewing, Summer tires tend to work best at 60F/15C or over but has worse wet performance than all weather tires below that temperature. These were all weather touring tires like the CrossClimate. i was wondering what the UHP tires would be like? Would they have similar behavior to all season touring? What would the performance be in the snow. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. When it did snow, I borrowed my wife's Subaru.

The tires are Dunlop Sport 5000.

Paul

I think it has more to do with what the engineers of the car thought should be the focus of that car...handling first???...perhaps the higher rated tires like Ultra High Performance...just want something that is a good all around tire???...perhaps Touring...what is important to you???

I replaced the Touring Michelins that came on my CTS Sport Wagon with UHP Michelins as handling is more important to me for that car...I feel it handles and drives better than it did with the older tire...

I tend to go for the better handling tires when I change over the OEMs and have never been disappointed with my choice...remember that the OEMs tend to be decent at most things and are usually brought in at a lower cost...most OEMs on regular cars are rarely repurchased by someone who has performance as a higher priority (at least higher priority than the automobile manufacturer)...

Good luck with your choice

Bill

Thanks, I am not really trying to buy new tires yet, it's got may be 10K on them. I am wondering what UHP characteristics. If they don't work well in the snow, I rather find out before I drive it in the snow.

Paul

At the time of purchase of my 2018 Kona AWD 1.6T car, it had Goodyear Touring all seasons.They no longer make this exact tire. It was the "sport" upgrade to the car's top two models package, a "good looking tire" if that has value.

https://ourautoexpert.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Hyundai-Kona-Whl.jpg

We received our first snowfall in Minnesota and these tires were greasy and REALLY horrible in snow (1 inch), way worse then any UHP tire I have owned. After running the Goodyears for 4 months and a full winter coming, and knowing in early spring I was purchasing new rims and tires for the summer, I bought my go to Conti DWS 06 and sold the Goodyears on Craigslist. I went through 2 sets in 3 weeks because of major flat spotting with no luck. I switched out to Discounts Tire exclusive version of the equivalent of the DWS 06 that the general manager suggested were far better manufacture wish then the DWS 06, going from a "better" tire to a "Best " tire category. Conti Contact Sport A/S had a stiffer sidewall and an ok A/S tread pattern and is a UHP tire. It fixed my flat spotting problem by 80% and they handled better then the soft DWS 06. That is my current winter tire on OEM rims package since I like to "sport drive" during the winter and don't want non sportive, bad handling winter tires. Yes, I do know there are ok ones for "fluff" driving, but I hit exit ramps at 80 mphs and hold full G's and would trash them in one winter.

https://cdn.discounttire.com/sys-master/images/h39/h92/8811419992094/conhzd.ang.l.jpg

Since I bought a new car, put 2 sets of new tires on my car and my daughters car, both $800 each set when done and are buying new rims and another set of tires I had to compromise on tires for the now newly lowered Kona AWD 1.6T. It was between Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is 200 wear tire or a more long lasting a less grippe 500 wear Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus (UHP). I had to ever compromise more since money had to go to other mods on the car. I went with the General G-Max-05's and 4 new rims on their rebate and newly acquired credit card discount deal and saved $400 on the tire and rim set. Here it is on my 2 inch lowered Kona AWD 1.6T.

https://www.hyundaikonaforum.com/showcase/2018-kona-awd-1-6t-lowered.1162/

The General's are a UHP tire and actually a really nice cheap sport tire. Very precise steering as said in Tire Rack's test. I think later in the summer I want a better tire and may go with the 500 wear Pilot Sport UHP A/S 3 Plus tire and sell the almost half worn G-Max-05 on Cragslist. I just can't justify a 200 wear tire at this time. $900 a season vs $800 every 2 years works better for me. I will lose some grip but the A/S 3 Plus is the BEST handling UHP tire out there. I just hope I won't chew/chunk them up when I do a couple of autocross's. I will have to drive just below chunk time since my car is classed with 500hp Subi STI fully time attacked out, so no hope on winning anyway, just for fun.

So after all this, what do I see a UHP tire is best used for?? A better wearing sport tire 500 wear then a 200-300 wear "summer tire" and they don't have the 35 degree "no go zone" attached to them. They "kinda work" in the snow, and may be just hair worst in the snow, then a 700 wear Touring tire.

Paul

It's a 2018 Mazda 3 GT with the 180 hp engine. I am not sure how that would factor in on the tire. The car is no speed demon.

Based on a video I was viewing, Summer tires tend to work best at 60F/15C or over but has worse wet performance than all weather tires below that temperature. These were all weather touring tires like the CrossClimate. i was wondering what the UHP tires would be like? Would they have similar behavior to all season touring? What would the performance be in the snow. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. When it did snow, I borrowed my wife's Subaru.

Paul

Look here.
Wouldn't use these in snow.

https://tirereviewsandmore.com/dunlop-sp-sport-5000-reviews/

Originally Posted by Mainia
Originally Posted by krzyss
You (Mainia) lost all credibility (I fixed it, thanks for pointing it out) when you called Michelin 4S "200 wear tire".
All of them are listed as UTQG 300.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S

What else is wrong in your writeup?

Krzys

"I lost ALL credibility" Hummm, Grow up. Troll.

Yes, my English is worse than yours but my number telling telling is better. I can tell difference between 200 and 300.
Luckily, for me, this is tire forum and not English writing one.

Krzys

PS I bet my Polish is better than yours!

Originally Posted by Mainia
You (Mainia) lost all credibility (I fixed it, thanks for pointing it out) when you called Michelin 4S "200 wear tire".
All of them are listed as UTQG 300.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S

What else is wrong in your writeup?

Krzys

"I lost ALL credibility" Hummm, Grow up. Troll.

Yes, my English is worse than yours but my number telling telling is better. I can tell difference between 200 and 300.
Luckily, for me, this is tire forum and not English writing one.

Krzys

PS I bet my Polish is better than yours!

You have a real pathetic personality, are you 16 years old and work at a tire store? If you are a grown man, God help anyone who lives around you. A "normal person" would say. "Hey Mainia, I think the 4S is a 300 tire. Check it out."

Do you feel a lot better now with your "power trip"? Let's hope you don't have children, you would be a pathetic role model for a son or daughter.

Thank you everyone for your comments. It does not appear that the reviews are particular good for the tires and I am wondering if UHP will compromise my safety when the temperature drops, so I appreciate the real world experiences.

Paul

Paul

Paul

Have you tried looking at tirerack's survey ratings?
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...205-Door&autoModClar=Grand%20Touring

Thank you everyone for your comments. It does not appear that the reviews are particular good for the tires and I am wondering if UHP will compromise my safety when the temperature drops, so I appreciate the real world experiences.

Paul

I run 2 sets of wheels. So, when the temperature drops, I put on my minus 2 sized wheels with winter tires.

Even when I run grand touring all-season tires, in the winter, I use winter tires.

Back