How tight does the drain plug have to be again?

Hrm...

After 1,000 miles and 20 cold starts, decided today to do a check. Idiot me, I should have checked with my fingers--instead, I just put a wrench on it. Loose! !!!! Not majorly loose, but where I failed to give a finger check I can't say it wasn't. Am going to have to check again, maybe I have a problem here...

Before anyone asks, I've done the last twenty-some-odd changes on this car, new crush washer each time (OEM one at that), and never noticed anything stripped or otherwise off. Nobody but me has touched this bolt in the last 6 years. I've never used a torque wrench on it, because, well, you don't need to, just give it a good snug and it's done.

Wild.

[In other news I think the o-ring on the oil pump for this 5S-FE must be on its way out, something is starting really pour the oil out--and yes, I did change that 6 years ago, but not the crank seal, but the leak looks more to the rear than on the pan. Could be either or both. Need to wait until warmer weather and when I can take a week off to do the TB. *sigh*]
Might need a new oil pan. When the threads are weak/damaged, this can happen.

A little wiggle of the plug with your fingers when its about tight,especially on high mileage vehicles tells you alot about conditions or concerns with plug or threads.Don't forget the proper washer.If the head is compromised, or you feel the threads are worn,its better to replace the fastener than just try to over tighten. A little blue or pipe dope will not only help seal,it helps stop the vibration from loosening a plug.I like to slowly sneak up to the final hand torque, one hand guiding the wrench head on the plug for firm engagement, the other doing the torque.

As I've learned and from a friend who was a makeshift mechanic years ago...tighten till it stops,then 1/4-1/2 turn.your done.that was his method from bolts in cars without a torque wrench.

It happens especially if management has the bad habit to call mechs to the service desk to answer customer questions, in the middle of a job.
We had a boss who used to do that, but only for bad things he didn't know how to B/S his way out of, or if it was a job gone wrong, never on the good jobs.

OTOH, Subaru seems to think the drain plug is a structural member and requires a crush gasket and 33 lb-ft of torque!
My 2014 911 is 37 ft/lbs which I thought was crazy. Isn't your Subaru a boxer engine? I wonder why such a high torque spec strange two different boxer engines with high torque specs for drain plug

My 2014 911 is 37 ft/lbs which I thought was crazy. Isn't your Subaru a boxer engine? I wonder why such a high torque spec strange two different boxer engines with high torque specs for drain plug
Well, Subaru does use a really big drain plug (~5/8” hole)… maybe that’s part of it? How big is the hole on your 911? On a side note, I’ve never had a drip or weep from a Subie drain plug, just from the bottom of the heads…

Last edited:
My MAZDA oil drain plug states ~ 18 ft/lbs. which is just "snug" with my 12 in socket wrench. I did actual check it with a torque wrench once. Ed

Threads like this are an example of why automakers use plastic pans with their 1/2 turn drain plugs.
Not familiar with what this is?

[You have to remember, I drive Toyota's, means even on my new car, my tech is 20 years behind the curve. ;) Maybe even more.]

I've heard of plastic oil pans, and I think I've heard of one time use oil drain plugs, but not sure about half-turn plugs in plastic pans.

Not familiar with what this is?

[You have to remember, I drive Toyota's, means even on my new car, my tech is 20 years behind the curve. ;) Maybe even more.]

I've heard of plastic oil pans, and I think I've heard of one time use oil drain plugs, but not sure about half-turn plugs in plastic pans.
The torque spec on the plastic pan of a N20 is something like 8nm. While not technically a 1/2 turn the plastic plug has about 6 threads and 8nm is basically finger tight.

In any case Ford was the first to market back in 2007.

Back