How should burgers be cooked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MAN!!! WHAT A SITE!!!

I like my burgers medium to med-well. I like a BAR-BURGER, made correctly with a splash of onion water on the grill, and a big thin sliced Vandelia Onion, with Polish Dill Pickle slices, on an Onion or Sesame Seed Bun, toasted in butter, on the grill, with tomato and lettuce, at times. I like fresh Garlic and Garlic powder, also added at times. I also have a taste for a Garlic Burger at times. All of the above sprinkled with Greek Oregano and Lea&Perrins Worcestershire Sauce and Heinz Ketchup, salt and pepper, freshly ground when possible. A an ice-cold beer or beverage to wash it down.

Geez....I made myself hungry!
cheers.gif

About tapeworm, I have taken Steak Tartare regularly in US as well as Germany, till now no tapes.

Moribundman,

I have visited Germany many times, have few relatives including my younger brother whose wife is German, I love German food, all the wursts, bludwurst, knockwurst, also Sauerbratten and smoked pork chops served in a bed of Sauerkraut and with sour cream dressing. My other favorite is steak tartare and I have had the chance to eat the German hamburgers and can tell you, it is pretty good. Indians can never contemplate the hamburger in US which is nothing but meat but I like that as well as long as the beef is good and I can eat it rare with blood dripping.

medium to medium well for me. I usually add some garlic powder, fresh ground pepper and season salt, maybe some worchester sauce too.
I have made feta stuffed burgers, they are really good!!

burgers fall into my "if it comes from a bovine, it's fine with me" motto.

Gurkha, while I am no sausage fan (I eat only about 10 kinds -- all cold cuts and an occasional teewurst), I love and make my own Sauerbraten and several other meat dishes. As for burgers and meatloaf, the above reactions by Pablo and kenw are typically American, because they equal meatloaf with the thrifty use of leftovers, which is sadly common practice in the US. I would never eat American meatloaf for that same reason! Only fresh stuff goes in my meatloaf and burgers. But I've given up on explaining that not all meatloaf is made from trash. I like plain meat, too, but then I want it not as ground meat, but as a roast or steak. I find beef generally too risky.

I don't like well done/dry burgers. I like nothing more than medium. And I do love cooking them on my Traeger grill. I love grilling and over the years have used several charcoal and gas grills. Nothing comes close to this. I don't sell them, bought mine on the net, cheaper than what they sell for here.

quote:

About tapeworm, I have taken Steak Tartare regularly in US as well as Germany, till now no tapes.

Hundreds of millions of people are infected with hookworms, flukes, round-worms, pinworms, tape worms, etc, and most don't know.

My 8th grade Physics teacher died from tape worm infestation. Germany has currently a scandal over rotten meat that was knowingly used in processed meat products and als sold to the public.

A good hambuger on the grill,,hmm,will start out with good ground chuck,prefer local beef (wisconsin),fresh like from a meat shop that grinds their own,put a pound in a mixing bowl,add a med. egg,good sprinkel of ground garlic,spit of italian seasoning,some onion powder,good sprinkle of old bay seasoning,and a couple of drops of wrights hickory smoke seasoning,,,,form three pattys with hands,put on grill ,useing only kingsford charcol,make sure you dab with water a few times while flipping with indirect heat ,and cover,till done to your liking,,,very good eating with a toasted bakery steak bun,with silverspring mustard,,,,,,BL

I agree about tapes, but then it also depends on source of meat and handling but its generally good advice not to eat it raw, problem is I am a vampire and can't stand blood less over cooked meat:)

I'm definitely a carnivore, but luckily I like my meat cooked all the way. If I were to have a taste for raw meat, I might be a liability...

Fresh ground meat done right in front of your eyes in a clean hygenic environment is expected to be safe,I have been disease free so far but then its always risky.

Numerous health experts have said that hamburger must be cooked well done to be safe, which is fine with me as I can't stand the taste of hamburger that's even slightly pink. Steak on the other hand can be safely done from rare on up. I like my steak med-well, so that its pink, but not red and bloody. I love a good meat loaf or good meat balls. I'm surprised no one's mentioned chicken fried steak, which I also love. I've got my own recipe for it, which I came up with after experimenting with numerous recipes. Jeez, I'm getting hungry for meat. Luckily, I bought 7 lbs. of New York Cut (called Kansas City Cut in some parts of the USA) steak yesterday.

Most important for grilling a good burger - don't touch it! I cringe when I see someone standing over the grill, constantly flipping the burges, squeezing them, sliding them around, it's awful
crushedcar.gif

Best is to get the grill to medium-high heat, put them on, flip after a few minutes, then take 'em off after a few more. Ready to eat. Even a medium-well done burger made from extra lean ground beef will be juicy and delicious so long as you don't fool around with it too much.

jeff

Have the meat ground at purchase. Handle afterwards as little as possible (cheap plastic burger presses are fine), and sear outside of meat on both sides. Remove to indirect heat and use meat thermometer to check for done-ness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back