How robust is Toyota 0W20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am around 8,000 miles so far on the oil inside my 2AZFE engine in my 2008 xB... With Pennzoil Ultra, at 7,500 OCI I had plenty of additive left. This is my first time using the Toyota oil and wondering what type of mileage I can expect. Will I be good up to 10,000 on this engine? I may not make it that high before I change it before winter, but just for peace of mind now.

Driving is about 1/2 freeway and 1/2 city.

I plan to test the oil when I drain to see how it does, or if I want to go back to Pennzoil Ultra which performed amazing in my engine.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Quote:
This is my first time using the Toyota oil and wondering what type of mileage I can expect.

The Toyota oil is good oil but it is not a magic elixir that will give you any significant measurable increase in MPG over what you are already using.

Toyota 0W20 has a TBN of 7.0. Pennzoil Ultra 5W20 has a TBN of 13. So, depending on what "plenty of additive left" means, you may or may not be able to go 10,000 miles with Toyota 0W20.

TBN is not listed on the PU 5W20 PDS. NOACK is listed for their SM 5W20 as 12.6. Might that have been mistaken for
TBN ? TBN's for Pennzoil have usually not run that high.

Well, Toyota recommends it for 10K OCI's, so they're obviously confident in it. But ultimately, a UOA will tell you how it held up.

Personally, I ran it to 10K the first time I used it and I had zero concerns. There were certainly no visible deposits and the oil *looked* OK, though admittedly that doesn't tell you much... My engine is easy on oil though, and I probably do a 65/35 hwy/city split. I did pull a sample, but out of laziness I haven't sent it in. I'm going to send a few in together.

My guess is that it's a little less robust than Ultra, which really seems to be an extended drain oil (even if it's not marketed as such). But I don't think you can simply compare starting TBN's and draw a hard conclusion that it's "almost twice as robust" or anything. Several low TBN oils retain their TBN better. So, the proof will be in the pudding.

So, if I were you I'd rest easy until you change it for winter.

The Toyota 0W-20 and PU 5W-20 are very different oils with the Toyota being the lightest oil you can buy and PU being a mid-grade, low VI, long drain 20wt oil.

To give you an idea of how much lighter the Toyota is; at room temperature it's 30% lighter and almost 50% at 32F; which is a lot for two oils that are purportedly the same grade. You will see a fuel economy increase of up to 4%.

The Toyota is not a long drain oil, although Toyota recommends
an OCI of up to 10,000 miles.

Toyota 0w20 is a good oil with plenty of Moly at 800 ppm.
I just bought a 12 qt case on Ebay for $61.50 shipped.
Not bad at $5.13 qt delivered.
I use it in our CR-V with 7K mile or so change intervals.

My OCI is bi-annually in Fall/Spring... So at most I hit around 7-8K per oil change. I need to change it soon, maybe next week for my winter fill. I just wanted to know the general limits on the oil.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Colt

Keep in mind this is for the SM version, the SN version has considerably less moly in it (around 100 now)

I just picked up 4L of SM Toyota 0w20 for my next oil change. I was tempted to buy up a case or two but I'd end up kicking myself if it turns out that the new SN version turns out to be way better than the SM version. On paper it might look like the SN 0w20 is a step backwards but I have a feeling we're going to find out the opposite is true.

The lower moly amount could be for a few reasons but most likely because XOM is now making it.

The main benefit of the Toyota 0w20 is how light it is which will give you better fuel economy. It's not really known how robust this oil is. With a VI of 214 it has a considerable amount of VI's. That could have some negative aspects for longer drain intervals. It's not designed as a long drain oil.

For moderate drain intervals I'd say it's a great oil. Start-up wear accounts for the majority of most engine wear and this oil should be great at reducing it.

Originally Posted By: Patman

Keep in mind this is for the SM version, the SN version has considerably less moly in it (around 100 now)

I just picked up 4L of SM Toyota 0w20 for my next oil change. I was tempted to buy up a case or two but I'd end up kicking myself if it turns out that the new SN version turns out to be way better than the SM version. On paper it might look like the SN 0w20 is a step backwards but I have a feeling we're going to find out the opposite is true.

Hey Patman, how do you like the oil on your Honda? I've been thinking of using it on my 2007 Mazda 3 for 7500 mile OCI.

Buster, well said.

Patman, you could very well be right that the SN version is a continued refinement of the Toyota Brand 0W-20.
The removal of Boron in the SN version has me perplexed but I'm reluctant to conclude that XOM just went cheap in the formulation.
I do like the reduction in the kinematic viscosity spec's as this is an indication of less VIIs are being used (replaced by some naturally higher VI GP IV and/or GP V base stocks) while maintaining the same HTHSV and overall VI.

Originally Posted By: Patman

I didn't know that.
I just bought a case on Ebay for $61.50 shipped.Haven't received it yet so I don't know if it's SM or SN.
Part# 00279-0WQTE01

Originally Posted By: Mazda3LA

Hey Patman, how do you like the oil on your Honda? I've been thinking of using it on my 2007 Mazda 3 for 7500 mile OCI.

It's working out well so far in my Civic, I'm getting incredible gas mileage out of this car (I managed 53.3 MPG on one highway trip, and was getting 38-40 MPG average up until a few weeks ago when the weather got colder and the winter blend of gas came out) and I'm sure the viscosity of this oil is responsible for some of that stellar MPG.

I'm going to change it out in a few weeks time (want to make sure I change it before the snow flies, as I hate changing oil in the cold winter months) and will definitely get a UOA done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back