How picky are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was checking tire pressures and for some reason it kept poping up to 38.5 when I wanted 38 and I kept after it until I got what I wanted. Is anyone else out there picky, too? And what's your pick.

I too run 38psi through my tires... and yes, I too won't settle until it's right-on 38psi
smile.gif

I use an analog gauge with a bleed valve. I over inflate it by a few PSI and use the bleed valve to drop it perfectly to 35 PSI.
wink.gif

Also I let the car sit for a while after inflation, compressed air is warm and I let it settle before adjusting the pressure.

I take the whell off and lay it flat at the sea level before calibrating.
tongue.gif

seriously, I can't feel less than 2psi of difference at the steering wheel, but if I'm going to do it, I do it right.

I usually put mine to about 32-33, with all 4 tires within 1.5 pounds of each other. I still shudder when I think of the time I had a faulty pressure gauge that read approx. 35 pounds when the tire actually had 75-80 pounds!
shocked.gif

I run the cars and Jeep all at 36 and the big E350 van at 60. I like to get within a pound all the way around when I check them.

Jonny Z:

"Also I let the car sit for a while after inflation, compressed air is warm and I let it settle before adjusting the pressure."

Air that has gone from a compressor into your tires should be cold, not warm.

My question on tire pressure is more about gauge accuracy. I read an article years ago that stated the pencil-type guages are actually the most accurate. Dial type gauges can be notoriously inaccurate, even expensive ones. And then there are the newer digital type.

I've noticed that none of these types of gauges ever specifies a level of accuracy, or an error percentage, on the packaging or instructions. They always say "reads in 0.5psi increments," or something to that effect.

If you're gauge isn't very accurate then getting exacly the reading you want is meaningless.

- Glenn

42 front, 40 rear. I have a digital gauge and a standard gauge that I use as a check. I check about every 2 weeks.

Glennc
quote:

I've noticed that none of these types of gauges ever specifies a level of accuracy, or an error percentage, on the packaging or instructions. They always say "reads in 0.5psi increments," or something to that effect.

As an electrical engineer, I find the complete lack of spec for accuracy and error of these gauges frustrating. So that leads to the question: If there is NO specifications, HOW do we know that pencil or dials type are better?

And digital is not necessarily more accurate, it's just easier to read.

It is possible, using the same gauge each time, the pressure variation from tire to tire would be small.

I have several pencil gauges, one for each car and then some. They all read around the same pressure. I tossed one that was different by 3 or 4 lbs. from the others.

The actual pressure is less important than the difference in pressure between tires, especially side to side. As long as the results form a single gauge are repeatable do not worry too much.

As with Rick I always look for the gauge specs but they never have any and this disturbs me too. Look for a pencil type with a 50 or 60 lb. scale. The ones that go higher are harder to get accurate for lower pressures.

aehaas

38f/36r is ideal in the B5, but now even in "balmy" SoCal winter, the tires barely heats up...so it pretty stays even psi wise.

On the rwd 190E, I put 40psi all around with good grip/handling and wear. Suspension with that Benz circa is unforgiving on tires.

p.s. Aren't we all picky(on motor oil..), that's why we joined Bitog, Yes?
grin.gif

quote:

Air that has gone from a compressor into your tires should be cold, not warm.

True for a tank type compressor, after the tank had a chance to cool. When you release compressed air, it actually gets cold.

I have a 12V mini compressor, the hose actually gets warm as I pump. I pump it to 40 PSI, sleep on it, and bleed it down to 35 PSI the next morning in the garage.

I go 30 cold all the way around, just like the door placard says to. 32 all around with my pops Blazer, just like the placard says. Anything more and it's a harsh ride over the minefields they call roads around here.

I always wear a tin foil hat to reduce the possibility of any stray radio waves affecting the calibration of my $2.99 air pressure gauge.

34 psi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back