How One Company Pulls Carbon From The Air, Aiming To Avert A Climate Catastrophe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CR94
That scheme impresses me as a complicated perpetual-motion machine, which might be useful to manufacture fuel from carbon dioxide only if powered by a source of low-cost carbon-free electric power.
That is the sad part, isn't it? The world's largest perpetual motion/free energy attempt. wink That aside, I don't even want to begin to do calculations on what would be needed to have a real effect. It might be about as feasible as building a Dyson sphere.

The most economical source of hydrogen today is stripping it from natural gas (methane), leaving CO2 as a byproduct. This is a very endothermic process - a huge heat demand - normally supplied by combustion of fossil fuels today. Creating hydrogen by electrolytically cracking water into H2 abd O2 is incredibly energy intensive in comparison, leaving the question how does this process procure the hydrogen used in the process? I've always maintained a nuclear pile is the only way to "get ahead" on the energy curve for producing hydrogen from water. Thus dieth the perpetual recycle scheme envisioned. But they make it sound oh so simple, don't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.