How old is this oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
A friend of mine found this oil in his grandmother's house, and we're trying to figure out when it was made. It can't be too old given it's SE rating, however I don't remember oil being in cans during that era either.

-

This was likely late 70s,. My Olds diesel (1983) has a sticker on it to use SE/SF-CC/CD oil. Since this can is a SE/CC it predates 83 at least.

Anyone still have their metal spout you would punture the can with to pour the oil? Think I do.

I would have never used that grade in those days, a 5w-30! Everyone I knew then only used 10w-40

Sounds right. About that time, people were switching over to bottles. That can probably represents the last of the oil cans in that era.

I'm a big recycler and try to do what's good for the environment. I could never figure out how we could tolerate the switch over to plastic containers. I understand the oil clingage in the bottles makes tham unrecyclable, even though they're marked #2 on the bottom. At least I could burn the empty cans, then throw away the metal ends.

I also cannot understand why quart containers are so popular over gallon containers. You'd think it's cheaper to package and sell gallon containers of oil instead of quart containers. I just shake my head at all the unrecyclable empty plastic oil containers I have to throw away in the trash.

When I started driving and working in the early 1980s, I remember cans still being available until around the mid-1980s, especially in the not-so-premium oils. The metal spout is still available from NAPA, by the way, but you might have to get them to order it or go to a store in the boonies.

Kestas is right on quarts vs. gallons. I save a buck or two by buying Red Line by the gallon, since my car takes 4 quarts anyway. The reason many people stick with quarts is that they are lighter and easier to handle, I'd think. (Couch potatoes--can't lift anything heavier than a big bag of chips.
wink.gif
) Also, if your car requires periodic topping up, it's easier to carry a quart in your trunk or behind your seat than it would be a gallon. But overall, buying oil in gallons makes more sense. Most vehicles take at least that much to fill the crankcase.

quote:

Originally posted by V6 Diesel:

Anyone still have their metal spout you would punture the can with to pour the oil? Think I do.

I bet I still have 2 or 3 around here. Remember how hard it was to find one that didn't leak?

I haven't seen cans in at least 15 years but since it's 5w-30 it couldn't be real real old. Use it in the mower or snowblower.
cheers.gif

Bob Woods, that chart pegged it at no later then 1979.

Wonder how good 5w-30 sold then. Took me many years to accept 10w-30 being ok to use.

I was working in a Carquest warehouse back in late 70's and they only carried Valvoline. Sure was messy when a case of those cans fell while trying to stack with a forklift.

I was using Quaker State at that time, think the entire can was made of metal.

I remember how easy it was to crush or dent them, and THEN watch the oil flow. As kids, we'd throw some of them into the fire, then watch the metal caps blow off.

quote:

Originally posted by Pick:
Anyone have any old Pennzoil or Quaker State containers with the Oil City, PA address on the containers?

Yep, 2 cans of QS, all metal. The newer one is QS Superblend, 20W-30 rated SF - SE - SD - CC, has the Oil City addy with Zip code, says it was blended with over 60 years of experience. The older one is plain ol' QS 20-20W (not a typo, that's what's stamped into the lid, not printed) rated MS - DG DM, no Zip code after the Oil City addy, says over 50 years 'sperience went into this one. Both were found in Granddad's garage, both are full!

I say save it for your grandkids. Someone, somewhere down the road will want it for something. You're really sitting on a fortune there, you just can't collect yet...
wink.gif

From a Chevron website (as well as the API link above, I imagine), "SE" grade was then-current from 1972-1979.

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
I say save it for your grandkids. Someone, somewhere down the road will want it for something. You're really sitting on a fortune there, you just can't collect yet...
wink.gif

Possibly as movie props?

There are several cans of oil on eBay. Just do a search of "Vintage Motor Oil." There's a blast from the past - ARCO Graphite motor oil - item # 2201861381. Wonder whatever happened to THAT brilliant idea?
grin.gif

- Arved

Motul 300v still comes in 2 litre rectangular metal cans with screw off lids. All metal, although I've seen some newer cans with plastic spouts.

I can remember in 1974 Esso brought out oil in plastic bags. The same bags that milk is sold in (Milk is sold in plastic bags in my area) It was perfect from an environmental aspect, as very little material ended up in the Landfill. I don't think the idea went over very well, as they stopped selling the oil in bags about one year later. Anyone else remember this?

Dave

The Vavoline container has metal tops and bottoms but the sidewalls are wrapped cardboard.

I still have a metal spout and two metal cans of oil, one is Texaco Havoline and the other is Quaker State, both are 20W20's. My father-in-law had them in his shop back in the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back