how often to change my BMWs oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1995 BMW with 233,000 miles will be driven only 1200 miles this year. I changed the oil and filter (Mahle filter and 10w/40 Pennzoil HM)in November 2013. Car was hardly driven during the winter months. Planning to change the oil/filter again this November with the same oil/filter. I think that is adequate to remove moisture etc. or should i change it more often or extend changes?

Last edited:
My 530i gets driven fairly infrequently, too (about 2K miles a year). Based on some UOAs I've done in the past, an annual oil change was the right thing to do for me. I went 1.5 years once (2 winters), and did not like what I saw. But then Chicago winters are more harsh than yours.

That's just fine. If you can, take it out for a monthly half-hour highway run to bring the oil to temp.

I think every 2 years is fine as long as you can periodically get it up to temp and sustain that for 20-30 minutes.

Heck, most current BMWs have a pretty long change interval. My M3's is very long, and it's an 8400rpm V8!

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
That's just fine. If you can, take it out for a monthly half-hour highway run to bring the oil to temp.

Sure when I do drive it in the winter, the roads are clear of salt etc. and I drive long enough to get everything hot. BTW, I have always heard that if you take short trips in a car, you should actually change your oil more often to remove water and acids.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I think every 2 years is fine as long as you can periodically get it up to temp and sustain that for 20-30 minutes.

Heck, most current BMWs have a pretty long change interval. My M3's is very long, and it's an 8400rpm V8!

My BMW is far from current
smile.gif

I never understood the time limit to oils. It's not like they expire or go bad. The main thing I could think of is condensation, which can get burned off with one good drive from time to time.

Originally Posted By: gtmaster303
I never understood the time limit to oils. It's not like they expire or go bad. The main thing I could think of is condensation, which can get burned off with one good drive from time to time.

Over time, the oil oxidizes, whether you drive it or not.

Also, fuel dilution is common during shorter winter drives. Fuel will permanently break down the oil, even if you manage to burn it off afterwards.

Never read that before. Can you point to a paper or article? I thought Saturated paraffins are inherently very stable under 100C - and hydrophobic.

Originally Posted By: gtmaster303

The problem are those cars that are often handled as in garages, some condos or shops. Every day the valet start and runs cold for 2 or 3 minutes once in the morning and another in the afternoon. After 6 months the oil is very dirty especially with fuel thinning out the oil by dilution. I'd say after 3 months it's miserable contaminated, but the owner should know when to change independently of manuals...

And a few won't understand my posts ... I knew it ... Hahaha to them ...

1200 miles a YEAR ... ?

Maybe time to think about selling it... or at least find a way to drive it more often.

The mileage says you're just not that into it anymore...:(

Originally Posted By: geeman789
1200 miles a YEAR ... ?

Maybe time to think about selling it... or at least find a way to drive it more often.

The mileage says you're just not that into it anymore...:(

I retired less than a year ago. Was driving it 15,000 miles a year. car is also semi-retired. I Like and enjoy the car Why would I sell it? I baby the car.
smile.gif
We have an everyday car.

Last edited:
Shell Rotella T6 5W40 changed every 36 months.

All my low mileage vehicles get an HDEO changed every 36 months.

PS That assumes you drive it long enough to get the oil to full operating temp and burn off the moisture when you drive it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back