How often should I change my oil?

VQ engines have long timing chains and picky with oil. Stick to 5k or less no matter what service it is.I never owned but Nissans in the last 15 years.

Topic drift, but not really.

Concentrate on doing everything else timely.

Realistically, it’s the cosmetic appearance and other mechanical things that will take you out of the car, not a well-maintained engine.

Start with meticulous care of the cosmetic appearance of the vehicle, but also any and all other fluids.

Sounds like your car has a conservative change interval to begin with. I’d get el cheapo Walmart synthetic or Costco synthetic in the correct grade plus a medium grade or better oil filter all changed in accordance with manufacturer’s spec.

If you are worried by all means run it out to the end of the manufacturer’s OCI and order a UOA.

99.5% sure you’ll test fine.

*Hypothetically speaking , if the OP used a "standard" synthetic oil and went 5,000 miles / 6 months - if he used M1 EP or Castrol EDGE EP synthetic oil could he go 7,500 miles / 12 months easy enough ?

2 x 1"5 subwoofers in a car? That's too big for a house! one DVC 10 in a sealed box should be enough if you have good amp and current supply - quality over quantity buddy!

Nissan OEM filters are garbage find a good alternative. These engines use the ubiquitous Asian Engine oil filter used on most all Asian cars,
(except toyota) I would run the Larger filter spec'd for the Titan/Armada as it about an inch longer as these filters are way too small.
I found my Nissan QR engine liked Valvoline Advanced or Castrol GTX Magnatec.
Fram XG7317 ( spec is: PH6607 ) Of if you are really adventurous and want the best, I would hunt down a Mazda Tokyo Roki #N3R1-14-302. It might be worth the effort!
And - most importantly - make sure that CVT fluid has been changed at least once!
- Ken

*Hypothetically speaking , if the OP used a "standard" synthetic oil and went 5,000 miles / 6 months - if he used M1 EP or Castrol EDGE EP synthetic oil could he go 7,500 miles / 12 months easy enough ?
Probably. A UOA would tell all.

A standard synthetic would likely span that gap unless there are other issues with the engine.

15 minutes one way is borderline short trip, your engine is getting to full temp and your oil is probably getting close. Considering the monthly family trips and suspecting that you drive more than just to work/class, I think you'll be fine doing 5000 miles on conventional or 7500 miles on synthetic. Your owner's manual should provide clear guidance on service intervals.

You may wish to choose an oil that has the newer ILSAC GF-6A rating, one of the enhancements of GF-6A is decreased timing chain wear.
That is good to know. I have a Nissan Versa Note. Timing Chain in the 1.6 liter engine. I change the oil on a severe service interval because we drive it that way. I am not choosey about the oil but I keep it changed often. That is one tiny engine and doesn't take a lot of oil so I don't know if 3.25 quarts needs to stay in there longer than I have it in there. It gets beat up pretty fast. Speaking of oil changes for that car today it is due to come out.

Back