How often do you redline your cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Finding enough road to redline the R/T or SRT for any length of time is challenging. But I manage to do it every few hundred miles :p The 69 R/T will lay down a black fog of carbon dust when I do if its been too long since I last let it clear its throat. The Ram 4.7 gets wrung out almost every time I drive it, just because the 4.7's power peak is so high up there and its such a big vehicle.

I rarely redline the Cherokees either, Miller... not because I think they'll break (you know I don't believe they're any more likely to break a piston than anything else, but that's another debate ;-) ) But they hit their torque peak 2000 RPM below redline anyway, so there's no POINT in getting above 4k at the most. The stick (99) actually is quicker if you short-shift it. I've tried it both ways, the 4.0 is smooth as silk all the way to the rev limiter (it IS a straight six, after all) but it just isn't pulling hard and takes a LONG time to get from ~3500 or 4000 the rest of the way to the redline.

PS- if I ever DO break a piston skirt in one of the 4.0s, I promise I'll announce it here and eat plenty of crow. But aint gonna happen...

Even with 3.55s and 31'' tires on the automatic transmission, I rarely see more than 2500. Even if accelerating hard. Maybe 3000 if I'm really trying to get up to speed quick. Don't need to.

My parents always had manual 4.0s. I found that there isn't much reason to go above 3500 or 4000. They just do not make power up there. Seems with a 5 speed, 3500 is the sweet spot to shift.

Last edited:
I'll hit 8350 rpm in my Celica probably once or twice a week. There is a single lane tunnel that merges on to 95 here in Philly and if the road is clear, I will touch the limiter if I need to use that road. Other instance for going into redline is at a 60mph cruise, I will drop it from 6th to 3rd (double clutching of course) and land right at 6200 rpm where the cam changes.

When I bought a 98 "Geo" Tracker a few weeks ago, it had 187,xxx miles on it and I am not sure about the history. I took it into redline in 1st and 2nd and it smelled of burned carbon. After doing this a few times spaced out while using Regane in the fuel, it has stopped smelling when revved high.

Italian Tune-up right there! I keep my engines clean and clear by doing the tune-up on a daily basis. I consider it as exercise, which keeps my engines healthy.

Originally Posted By: Sequoiasoon
Back in college my sister and I had almost identical Honda Civic 1500 S's (the ones that came either black or red) both with 5 speed trannies. Hers had A/C, I put in a sunroof. Both maintained the same by me and Dad.

She babied hers a lot more and rarely broke 3500 rpm. I drove hers a couple times and it was like it hit brick wall at 3k. Mine had no power below 2500 rpm but then pulled hard and fast to redline.

We challenged each other at many intersections/lights. She ALWAYS had me off the line but part way through second gear was falling back. Just for laughs we switched cars a couple times and when I drove hers I beat her easily off the line but into second and she was pulling ahead. She commented how much easier mine revved and more fun to drive it was.

One or the other (proabably hers) had the cam timing off a few degrees. A tooth with a timing belt is enough to move the torque curve around a lot, one reason I hate timing belts. Advancing the cam will kill off the top end and boost the bottom end, and vice versa.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: OriginHacker21
@ thrace - Downshifting in a Honda is a bad thing? Having owned a manual transmission for 10 years, I've been downshifting in my new Honda Civic whenever I come off the freeway or want to slow down without wasting brakes.

Brakes are cheap and easy to change, a clutch job, not so cheap and not so easy to change. JMO but I'd rather save the clutch and replace the brakes a little more often.

+1

Whimsey

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Artem
Italian Tune-up right there! I keep my engines clean and clear by doing the tune-up on a daily basis. I consider it as exercise, which keeps my engines healthy.

This has always been my thoughts too.

I was just thinking about new owners of the big Cadillac, the XTS. It has the 3.6 liter V-6, and has the horsepower peak at 6800 rpm and the redline at about 7000. Do you think they ever get within 2500 rpm of their redline?

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
I was just thinking about new owners of the big Cadillac, the XTS. It has the 3.6 liter V-6, and has the horsepower peak at 6800 rpm and the redline at about 7000. Do you think they ever get within 2500 rpm of their redline?

Not where I live. I traveled 18 miles to work today, it took 1 hour 10 minutes. I was in 5th once for about 15 seconds. I couldn't hit red line in 1st gear if I wanted too.

If you do it daily, what are you cleaning out?

Originally Posted By: whip

My sad gland.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

My sad gland.

lol.gif
At least that makes sense.

My sad gland.

lol.gif
At least that makes sense.

I thought so...
smile.gif

My sad gland.

Haw! Almost fell over...

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: OriginHacker21
@ thrace - Downshifting in a Honda is a bad thing? Having owned a manual transmission for 10 years, I've been downshifting in my new Honda Civic whenever I come off the freeway or want to slow down without wasting brakes.

Brakes are cheap and easy to change, a clutch job, not so cheap and not so easy to change. JMO but I'd rather save the clutch and replace the brakes a little more often.

+1

Whimsey

Thanks for the info demarpaint and whimsey. For the last 2 days I haven't downshifted once. Incredibly difficult. Grabbing the parking brake to force myself not to downshift. Actually seeing an increase in MPG as I drive more conservatively.

Does redline'ing actually keep a non-performance engine clean like my 1.8L Honda Civic engine?

Should. Might not matter as much, as it's not meant to be used as "hot" as a performance motor; but same principles.

Interesting that mpg went up with idling. Must not be aggressive on the fuel cutoff. When you downshift, do you go through all the gears while slowing? That might be the problem--for whatever emissions reason it might be still injecting fuel, or maybe it needs more than a few seconds to go into fuel cutoff. Do you have an instanteous mpg readout?

My car is very different, and goes immediately into fuel cutoff; but I generally only downshift once or maybe twice while coming to a full stop from top gear--I'll go from 5th to 3rd generally (after burping the motor to rev match), immediately; coast in third until just above idle and then clutch.

Yeah, MPG is going up significantly with not downshifting. My guess is because when I downshift, it SEEMS to me that it revs the engine to match the downshift so the downshift isn't as harsh. The MPG readout on the Civic is pretty poor, just a 0-75mpg bar meter. Yes, I usually downshifted through all the gears. I see 28-32mpg city downshifting. Not downshifting I'm seeing 34-38mpg city. Your theory of fuel cutoff needing a few seconds is right I think. Downshifting must have prevented that. I do drive more conservatively now that I don't downshift which might have a lot to do too.

I always wondered if doing a 90 mile drive on the highway was better for a clean engine or doing a handful of 0-60 runs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back