How often do you check your oil level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every other day I check mine. No oil usage but I do it just because grandpa and dad taught me how
smile.gif

I try to make a habit of checking mine every few weeks in my 84 Cutlass and 83 caprice. The caprice I drive exclusively all winter. In the summer I mostly drive the Cutlass but occasionally the caprice. Normally I check it like 5 times before I have to add half a qt or so.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
I will check it weekly when I first buy it.

Once i figure out if it actually uses any oil I may adjust what I do.

I always liked the way most Renaults since the 80's have an oil level check every time you start the engine, and it is accurate.

Checking the oil on the Smart is a pain in the you know what, empty the boot, remove the parcel shelf, remove the sound deadening, undo the screws that hold down the boot floor and then struggle to get hold of the slightly awkwardly situated dipstick.

Annoyingly the Smart is based on a Renault Twingo and I wonder if the Twingo has the usual oil level check on the dash every time you start the car.

Preferable to the nightmare of the Smart.

What is so smart about all of that?

My truck, since I have owned it since 2013 hasn't required a drop between oil changes. I was checking weekly/bi-weekly and finally monthly after I purchased it. Now it is mainly done the next day or within a few days after an oil change just to make sure I added the correct amount.

With my wife's Impala, I have been checking at least once a month and will continue to do so until I am certain and get a good baseline to increase that.

I have never checked any oil level at a gas station as to get a proper reading, imo, the vehicle should have sat for a couple/few hours first. I always check prior to a long trip and will check, maybe, after the vehicle has sat a day or 2 or before the return trip home.

I normally check every 1000 miles, which is usually 2 months, but can be 2 days on a road trip.
Now, with my new-to me (2 weeks) car I'll be checking after each fillup until I get a handle on its consumption (if any).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back