How often do you check your oil level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle dependent. The worst got checked frequently, at least at each fill up. Carried a few quarts with me for that one.

The best, which barely moved in 10,000 miles, checked 1/2 way through the OCI.

Last edited:
Depends on the engine and its problems. Escalade - once during a OLM OCI. Maxima - once a week (leaks, consumes, etc).

On my 51 Chevy, before and after every drive. On my modern vehicles, about once a month.

I check about halfway through the OCI. I am fine with doing this because I don't see leaks on the driveway, and every time I've checked at the halfway point after I've poured in the oil, it has been just where it was when I did the oil change, so no leaking/burning off.

If I did have oil loss, I'd be sure to check it more often.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

When a vehicle is new to me, I check more often such as when filling with fuel. Once I know & trust the vehicle, then I do it accordingly.

+1
I haven't had an oil leaker/burner since I had the head gasket replaced on the BMW years ago.
Since then, nothing in my fleet seems to consume or leak oil between OCI's.
So I suppose you can say I "trust" my vehicle to not have to check the oil levels regularly.

I should be watching the SE more closely. It uses oil after 5k or so. My son started it up the other day, and I thought I heard rocker noise. Sure enough , a qt low. I topped it off with with some 5w30 I had around. The low oil light on the BMWs was simple as a rock and dovetailed 'zactly with the stick. The LE doesn't seem to use oil. The old days of checking the oil every fill up are long gone. Heck, even my last Grand Wag didn't use oil.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
I should be watching the SE more closely. It uses oil after 5k or so. My son started it up the other day, and I thought I heard rocker noise. Sure enough , a qt low. I topped it off with with some 5w30 I had around. The low oil light on the BMWs was simple as a rock and dovetailed 'zactly with the stick. The LE doesn't seem to use oil. The old days of checking the oil every fill up are long gone. Heck, even my last Grand Wag didn't use oil.
grin2.gif

Had one like that...didn't burn a drop until 3500 miles on the OCI, then started using some.

Every couple of weeks if it is using oil. If not, I may check about halfway into OCI.

In my wife's 2015 Sienna, almost never...no need...in my '04 Corolla with 330K+ miles, once a week...and I have to add a qt about every 1K miles now...

I must be really lucky. In all the years, and all the vehicles , I have owned and maintained, I have never experienced any significant oil loss that I could notice on a dipstick. Knock on wood, to this day I still don't have to add make-up oil between OCIs. Having said that my OCIs are at 5k intervals, maybe a little more if on a trip at OCI time. Maybe that's a factor. IDK.

Once a week to once every couple months. They never need topping off. Harley does, so that gets checked at least once a week when ridden.

Every weekend -or 2nd fill up on a road trip.

If towing every fuel stop.

UD

Originally Posted By: deven
Never. That is what the idiot light is for and I carry 2 quarts of oil in the car at all times.

Remind me to never buy a used car off you.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Never. That is what the idiot light is for and I carry 2 quarts of oil in the car at all times.

eek.gif

I am getting old and I drive my cars very gently plus of all the cars I have had only 1 was an oil burner. Just cuz the oil level goes down 1 quart doesn't mean it will grenade.

eek.gif

I am getting old and I drive my cars very gently plus of all the cars I have had only 1 was an oil burner. Just cuz the oil level goes down 1 quart doesn't mean it will grenade.

Won't grenade, but it will increase oil consumption every time you go down a L or two. We do so many V6 pistons and short blocks due to oil consumption, they are currently on back order. They can't build them fast enough.

eek.gif

Won't grenade, but it will increase oil consumption every time you go down a L or two. We do so many V6 pistons and short blocks due to oil consumption, they are currently on back order. They can't build them fast enough.

I wouldn't really know because the only one I did own that burned oil a 2012 Audi A6, the oil consumption was always like clockwork and always 3 quarts every 10,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
I must be really lucky. In all the years, and all the vehicles , I have owned and maintained, I have never experienced any significant oil loss that I could notice on a dipstick. Knock on wood, to this day I still don't have to add make-up oil between OCIs. Having said that my OCIs are at 5k intervals, maybe a little more if on a trip at OCI time. Maybe that's a factor. IDK.

Things might be a bit different if you had vehicles with 300K+ miles on them like I do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back