How often do you check your dipstick...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How often do you check your dipstick? I am just curious as to the frequency of everyone elses dipstick analysis on there daily drivers. I find myself checking my rides once a week at least sometimes more.
dunno.gif
I am looking for consumption, color variations, feel and smell.

I think my neighbors think I am crazy since I have become obsessed with oil. They see my hood up at least once a week.
rolleyes.gif

I wonder if I will wear out the dipstick!
wink.gif

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 5800 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 82000 Miles. (Switching to GC next)Nope sticking with M1.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

When I was driving 1,000 miles per week, I was checking it every 3 or 4 days. Now my commute is much lower so I check it once a week to every two weeks. I was averaging speeds of 80mph daily for 128 mile round trip to work. My car always burns oil at high speeds, regardless of the viscosity. I'm now able to take my time and go about 70mph which will cut down consumption considerably.

If your car doesn't burn too much oil, I'd let it go awhile.

At least once a week in both cars. One burns oil the other does not but I still feel better once I check. I also check for other problems like hoses and belts,antifreeze,power steering fluid and brake fluid. Also tire pressure about every 2 weeks. I must be obsessive about my cars!
banghead.gif

Buster, 1000 miles per week!
shocked.gif

TR3-2001SE, I also check for other issues such as coolant leaks and oil leaks. I find myself checking the tires less than I would like.

I agree since finding this site I have the (OOD) obsessive oil disorder.
banghead.gif

fruit.gif

I check it every week. My wife thinks Im nuts anyway because I (in her words) obsess about oil of all things, so checking it all the time is no big deal!

I'll admit I'm lazy about this - probably only check every several weeks. The owner's manuals almost always advise to check oil level at each gas fill-up, though. How many of y'all are old enough to remember when service station attendants checked fluid levels and washed windshields and windows while they filled your gas tank? Now we're lucky if there're even any paper towels in the dispenser. (Progress...)

Every few days on the first week after I change the oil.
Then once about once a week for abour 4 weeks.
Then about every two weeks.

I check several times a week, but of course I own two saturns.
rolleyes.gif
My driveway slants ever so slightly so sometimes I back in and sometimes go forwards and average the readings. But I don't make a special (cold start) trip to turn a car around.

lol.gif

I always feel like I either overfilled or underfilled. Then by the time I am satisfied its time to change the oil.
grin.gif

Less than once a month. None of my four vehicles comsume oil. I do tell the kids to check it weekly, but I'm convinced they do what I do, and not what I say.

My biggest harp is: "If you are going somewhere quick, take the vehicle with the warm engine."

92 ranger, 87,000 mi. uses no oil to speak of. an ounce or 2 every couple of weeks puts the level a hair over the full line, which i always keep it. i guess it's a fetish thing! anyway, i check it once a week, at work. flat parking lot. my driveway at home has too much of a slope and the street in front of my house, too much tilt. truck sits 10 hrs on the flat surface so i know i'm getting an accurate reading! the guys at work have even stopped asking me if everythings ok or if i need a jump! most of them don't even check. they just change the oil every 3 or 4 grand, some as much as a couple of qts low by then.

Buster,
You could have left that post stay.
I'm a square-head-scottish, Belgium cross.
dunno.gif

[ November 24, 2003, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

Yup, the only place I can check the oil is in the garage. My driveway has a pretty good pitch and would skew the readings pretty good.

quote:

Originally posted by userfriendly:
I check my dipstick...

lol.gif

Is that before or after you get home?
shocked.gif

had to edit a couple words,mark

[ November 24, 2003, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

quote:

Buster,
You could have left that post stay.
I'm a square-head-scottish, Belgium cross.
Any port in a storm.
BTW, the guys in prison all say the same thing....
If it walks, talks, and looks like a girl....
Oh well.

Ok, glad to know you have a sense of humor.

cheers.gif

So what color has Boy George been wearing?
lol.gif

[ November 24, 2003, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back