How often do you change your oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
You can now vote twice if you own more than one car. (make both selections at the same time before hitting submit)

[ August 04, 2003, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

What if I have 3 cars...JUST KIDDING....Thanks for taking the time to do this.

10K OCI on the 245Turdbo
15K OCI (or so) on the 855 nonturdbo
ToySR5 with 22RE - uh...well it's been 2+ years, should I change the oil?

quote:

Originally posted by Starbreaker666:
3k on both vehicles no matter what brand I use.

only let me vote once though...

I believe you have to click the two choices both at the same time, if you select one and then submit it, I believe it won't let you resubmit the second one.

I'm "trying" to do at least 4K on my Z28, maybe a little longer if needed......"trying" I said. So far I have averaged about 1750 miles.

My wife's Corolla trying every 5000.....3000 if I'm overseas (at the quickie lube). You know how women are....they can't count past 3000.
Rick

Well, I voted "3k on the nose", but in reality I go 3200-3800 miles. I start getting scared when I approach 4k on dino.
shocked.gif

Despite UOAs, despite all other forms of logic, when I get to 5000, I get antsy (and no, it is not some kind of unresolved rash!).

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Oil and filter have been changed every 10k miles in my '96 2.8 12v Audi.

If I were to live in a harsher climate, then I'd change the oil 2 or 3 times a year regardless of miles driven.

That's a good point. For me, if it weren't so cold up here in the winter, I'd go longer on my oil changes too. For one, I would only change my wife's oil and my mom's oil once per year, since my wife only drives about 7-8k per year and my mom only drives about 5k per year. But wintertime up here is so hard on the oil, that I change each of their oil just before winter and then again in the spring.

Every 3K for me. Our vehicles never make it to 3 months, we both commute between 15 to 25 miles one way. I used to go 4K and still could, but this darn oil bug bit me and I can't wait that long.
freak2.gif
I recently switched both vehicles over to Chevron Supreme 5w30 or Chevron Havoline 5w30 (whichever I can find), largely due to info I learned here.
bowdown.gif

On my mom's Grand Marquis, about twice a year. On my Neon, who knows?
grin.gif
I've worked my way up from 3K to 6K to 9K. Right now, ~11,8xx miles on this fill of BobZoil w/Lube Control. Plans are to change it at ~13 K, maybe up to 15 K miles.

[ August 04, 2003, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Hughes ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
You can now vote twice if you own more than one car. (make both selections at the same time before hitting submit)

I am amazed that people who presumably know so much about oil, engines and maintenance would change their oil every 3,000 miles. Kind of makes it sound like "seevere service" should be labeled "normal service" and "normal service" should be labeled "light duty".

Every 3000 miles for me. I cannot remember ever going beyond about 3300 miles with ANY oil, even Mobil 1.

When it has been drilled into you for so long that the oil must be changed every 3000 miles (and basically the dealerships saying the same thing at least up until recently), it becomes habit and a habit that is not easy to break.

I suppose I should consider using conventional oil again since I really don't think I can break the 3000 mile habit very easily. No way I could go beyond 4000 with a conventional oil and it would be hard for me to go 5000 with a synthetic.

10K on LS400, GS300, ES300,Accord V6 and Accord 4. How do I vote 5 times???
grin.gif

I voted "3k on the nose" for my daily commuter, knowing that I've usually changed at 2500 in the past. However, since AutoRX has recently helped with an oil consumption problem, I feel more comfortable extending the OCI to 3000.

For my other car (the wife's commuter), I put "4000" because it's the closest answer to the 3000-4000 I typically will be changing it at (I've only had one change on it so far, at 3864mi).

I have a 3rd car that would qualify for the "every 6 months" answer if I was able to answer for 3 cars. This car gets driven less than 2000 miles a year.

Oil and filter have been changed every 10k miles in my '96 2.8 12v Audi.

If I were to live in a harsher climate, then I'd change the oil 2 or 3 times a year regardless of miles driven.

i dont go by months or miles.

living in subtropical southflorida, we dont have any cold weather, no wild tempature fluxuations either. so i change the oil whenever it gets tike. i get a "feeling" based on watching the oiul pressure guage and also the colour of the oil on the dipstick.
it isnt scientific or anything, but its what i do.

the shortest interval i have gone is 500 miles, the longest is about 6K miles, all on dino oil.
time has ranges from a week to over 2 years, again all on dino.

my father goes anywhere between 3K and 14K on dino. he also changes the oil like me, when its tikme and it feels right. things like rainy months, or if i do a lot of short trip driving which accelerates wear make me change it sooner.

i usualkly average about 3500 miles, however.

on my 91 accord i do 3k..maybe 2500 if i know i idled alot.

99 villager, 3500 miles.

86 nissan 300zx-45 miles yes 45...cuase thats like 3 months worth of driving.

Well, I was going to do both cars at 10k miles, but now I'm thinking I'll UOA the '90 until it comes back that I should change it (thanks a lot, 3MadPonchos!
rolleyes.gif
). So I'm guessing it may be 16k-20k (4 to 5 years (thanks a lot, DickInFallsChurch!
rolleyes.gif
) at my present mileage?) for that car ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back