How often do you change your drain bolt washer?

What does your owners manual say ? Isn't that better than asking strangers on a website that could have scores of different makes and model vehicles ?

Well many if not most people don't necessarily follow the owners manual.....:)

What does your owners manual say ? Isn't that better than asking strangers on a website that could have scores of different makes and model vehicles ?

My Nissan 370Z had a copper crush washer that needed to be changed each time. My Mazda CX 5 has a flat aluminum washer that the manual says should be changed each time as well. The nice thing is that Mazda factory oil filters come with a new washer taped to the box. Pretty good indication that they suggest the washer be replaced.

Each time I’ve bought a Roki filter at the dealer they did tape the aluminium friction washer to the box. It makes sense to change it every time.

I have a hunnerds of Honda, Toyota and Nissan warshers, plus numerous assorted just in case.
Any warsher or fastener that is questionable goes in trash.
I just serviced the rear differentials in the Tundra and GS; they got new warshers.

But again, the MityVac has been a game changer...

Aluminum crush washers, I replace every other oil change.

If the pan will accommodate them, I'll switch over to a Stat-O-Seal and replace these when they start to seep. Which isn't very often.

GM rubber washers, I replace them when they look to have taken a set.

When I replace the fuel filter on the Legend, I toss the copper seal washers and use aluminum ones. For some reason, it's a PITA to get the banjo and pressure tap bolt to seal with the copper washers. When I took ownership of the Legend, I went to service the transmission (Red Line MTL) and found that the aluminum seal washer on the drain plug was never replaced. It was mushroomed over the lip of the plug.

Last edited:
I change the engine oil drain gasket (aluminum washer) after 3-4 uses. The trans plug is a true crush washer as pictured in Post #8 and gets replaced at every 30k mile spill & fill. The differential plug gasket is copper and gets cleaned off and re-used at every 60k mile service.

You can feel the thin aluminum washer / gasket of my car's engine distort upon tightening.
Flipping it over can only be done several times as the metal will fatigue.
A pal machined a bunch of thicker ones for me. While the oil is dripping I dress them on "diamond paper' so they're flat.

Last time I purchased a 50 pieces Elring branded washers
for 24 Cent each for the Mini. So why even skimp on them?

Attachments

• N16 - Dichtring ELRING 813.052 - 22x16x2 mm  0,24 €   für Ölablassschraube N16.jpg
    N16 - Dichtring ELRING 813.052 - 22x16x2 mm 0,24 € für Ölablassschraube N16.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 6
Never, and none have leaked. That's with steel ones, an aluminum one (Mazda), and plastic-coated metal ones (Toyota). After 60 or so oil changes, the aluminum one thinned and spread enough that I no longer needed to be careful to avoid letting it fall off the plug. Equally convenient, the plastic-coated Toyota washer sticks to the pan instead of falling off. If it leaked or showed any hint of degradation, I'd replace it. I bought a bunch of spares, but haven't needed to use any yet.

Never .. I use flat (not one time crush) aluminum or copper drain plug washer/gaskets. Never had any lesk with dozens of on/off cycles. You can get them at any major auto parts stores, or eBay and Amazon for pretty cheap.

I have also reused the one time crush washers and never had any leak.

I know you are supposed to but considering im the one changing my oil I never do. I figure if it fails and all my oil comes out that's on me.

To be honest...never have..............

I just bought a 10 pack of OEM Hyundai filters that came with 11 washers (yeah, not 10...LOL)........still probably wont...

Back