How often do you change your drain bolt washer?

If it's a separate crush washer or plastic washer, every time or every other time.

My current fleet have a rubber o-ring built into their drain plugs. They're on the "never" schedule.

Now, every time with the Toyota crush washers. I reused them for multiple oil changes on my older Toyotas. I don't notice any difference.

every 5-7 years whether it needs one or not.
Same here, went years without changing the cardboard washer on the Toyota 2Z-AFE. Not one drop of oil ever seeped out. Hondas use a crush washer that doesn’t really seem to crush IMO but I change it out every time since the car is new and under warranty.

I believe my BMW's OEM filters came with a new washer. So I changed the washer whenever I changed the filter. It never leaked.

To my knowledge the washer on my Honda Accord V6 has never been changed. But it got a "free" oil change early on and the dealer might have changed it then. I've done all the other changes. I would change it once in a while if I had one handy but I don't, so I don't. It has never leaked either.

1654577791232.jpeg

On Toyota's....When the elastomer coating starts looking weird.
On Honda's....When the aluminum starts galling or it looks distorted from over torqueing.

Domestics don't normally use crush type washers for engine oil.

What does your owners manual say ? Isn't that better than asking strangers on a website that could have scores of different makes and model vehicles ?

My Nissan 370Z had a copper crush washer that needed to be changed each time. My Mazda CX 5 has a flat aluminum washer that the manual says should be changed each time as well. The nice thing is that Mazda factory oil filters come with a new washer taped to the box. Pretty good indication that they suggest the washer be replaced.

Back