How Often Change Honda DW-1?

I thought DW-1 was synthetic; it replaced the old Z1. Maybe not?
I don't get too hung up about the synthetic vs non-synthetic debate. The frictional properties of the fluid are a much greater concern when it comes to ATF's.

Personally, I have not seen any of the multi-vehicle fluids shift properly in Honda automatics. They behavior is always different compared to the Genuine fluid.....either immediately or within 15-30K.

I thought DW-1 was synthetic; it replaced the old Z1. Maybe not?
It’s not. When Honda came out with the VCM system on the V6 Pilots. When VCM was active it would cause slipping on the transmission. Which caused to fluid to cook. Poor design by Honda. Currently have the VCM system deactivated and using Amsoil blue cap atf along with a transmission cooler it seems happy.

It’s not. When Honda came out with the VCM system on the V6 Pilots. When VCM was active it would cause slipping on the transmission. Which caused to fluid to cook. Poor design by Honda. Currently have the VCM system deactivated and using Amsoil blue cap atf along with a transmission cooler it seems happy.

Never heard that particular story.

DW1 was created to replace Z1 because Z1 was shearing out of grade and causing harsh shifting. DW1 is essentially Z1 with an improved base oil.

I do D&F every oil change, which is 5k on average. Complete overkill but I got a bunch of free DW1 so no worries there. Although, you'd be surprised how dark it comes out after only 5k in service. Note, VCM is disabled
I’m surprised. We see a decent buildup on the magnet, but the fluid always looks clean and good.

I’m surprised. We see a decent buildup on the magnet, but the fluid always looks clean and good.
I'm surprised as well lol. It actually doesn't look terribly dark or anything, but it's definitely darker than I would expect. Some magnet buildup on the magnet as well. I'm in texas so not sure if ambient heat has to do anything with fluid discoloring, but it's possible. I also have the external ATF coller installed so really nothing else I could do in terms of temperature management.

I do D&F every oil change, which is 5k on average. Complete overkill but I got a bunch of free DW1 so no worries there. Although, you'd be surprised how dark it comes out after only 5k in service. Note, VCM is disabled
Interesting.... Doing fairly routine drain-and-refills with DW-1 on 2-3 Honda, the fluid remains very red. Not doing them anywhere near as often as you either.

Interesting.... Doing fairly routine drain-and-refills with DW-1 on 2-3 Honda, the fluid remains very red. Not doing them anywhere near as often as you either.
are you servicing Pilots or other Hondas?

I see the buildup on the 1st service; much less subsequently. Breakin materials, I imagine.
I often use the MityVac for ATF services nowadays.

I meant to say that maybe you're seeing this because you're dealing with bigger, heavier Hondas. In my case, it was (2) Accords and (1) Civic.
Most likely. 6ATs on 2016+ plus are known to run very hot and deteriorate fluid rather quickly. Good news, D&F on the pilot is a breeze

Last edited:
Back