How much will it cost you to upgrade to Vista? MS to sell $250 keyboard & mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to article

" The new products feature a one-touch button for the Windows Start menu and incorporates features to help users more easily navigate Windows Vista, due out to consumers in early 2007 after nearly five years of development.

"As we promote Vista, this will be a key component," said Matt Barlow, director of marketing at Microsoft's PC Hardware division."

$200 for Vista, $250 for KB & Mouse. Didn't Pablo just a get a great deal on a computer for about $400?? I'm sure by spending the extra $450 on a Vista license, MS KB & mouse, he'll more than double his computing experience. Right? NOT!!

This is one of those times truth is stranger than fiction. I wonder how many people will walk into the local Best Buy and purchase:
$200, Vista
$250, MS KB & Mouse
$450, MS Office 2007
$900, + Tax.

OMG!!

$900 buys a decent laptop from Dell, ask buster!

OMG!!

I am in the wrong business!!

TNS, More pricing info
grin.gif

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=1448

I have also been reading that Vista is much more of a resource hog than even XP. More $$$ to spend.

If Windoze weren't almost mandatory on new PC computers. MS would be in a world of hurt. I don't see people converting from XP to Vista in large numbers.

This is a real marketing opportunity for Apple.

Linux should pick up a few more percent market share over the next few years too, thanks to MS's brilliance.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
I don't see people converting from XP to Vista in large numbers.

Most won't. But their current PCs running XP will eventually get old and when they buy new ones, the new PCs will most likely come preloaded with Vista. It's just a matter of time...

From all the discussions around my work place, Vista's main thing will be RAM. If I recall correctly, 512mb will be minimum, and 1 gig will be recommended. Newer computers are coming with labels that state "Vista Capable" on them. Even non-dual core state this, so I don't think there will be too much for consumers with fairly new computers (within the past year) to pay extra, aside from the OS itself.

I agree XS650, I have doubts that there will be a large quantity upgrading to Vista.

I would pay $900 to not have to upgrade to vista.

truthfully, it will be the price of ram depending on how much you have, I would go with 2 gig.

plus the price of a good dx 10 video card for their lame desktop if you want all the memory hogging bells and whistles, my xp pro looks like windows 98 because I turned all the fancy ** off.

speed over looks.

Carbonics I agree. First thing I do with XP is change it to the "Classic" view. Not just for speed, but I just can't get used to the XP style. To poofy for me.

I rember reading that running Vista just on minimum requirements will totaly suck. Some of the reviewers have said 1 gig memory just for the basic setup, and that is with a 128mb video card. Shared video memory will be a big no-no with Vista.

I don't see myself getting Vista, since 2 of my 3 current computers don't come close to minimum spec (1 is a AMD 500 mhz with 384 of shared memory (kids computer), the other is my laptop, AMD Athalon 1.8 ghz with 512 shared memory), and the 3rd just barely meets it (2 ghz AMD Athatlon with 1 gig memory, 128 video card).

PC Authority did the most in depth look at Vista against Apples's latest and I mean in depth and conclusion was Vista smashed it with ease. Don't underestimate the folks at MS. Buy a notebook with discrete graphics if you want to use Aero-Glass feature in Vista. Core 2 Duo (no brainer) and maybe 2GB RAM.

I came across an article in a British XP Magazine recently where they showed how a relatively low cost computer could be built and be able to run Windows Vista. The computer would run Vista quite well and would cost some 425 British pounds. So how much is that in American money? Maybe $800.00?

In any case, that Vista computer will be less then half the price of a MacPro desktop. Maybe even a third of the price if you put in equal amounts of RAM.

IF Vista really is the answer to security problems in Windows, which I think is the major problem with Windows, the Windows computers do look mighty tempting. We can only wait and see.

I have come across some information on the internet which indicates that some of the security solutions in Vista are SUPERIOR to the Mac.

I have the Vista Release Candidate One one of my desktop machines here. It needs a full gigabyte of RAM to run its 'Aero' desktop. I think it took about 8.5 gigs of hard drive space to install and will be coming on a DVD. I received the license from Microsoft after answering some IT related questions on their website. Windows Vista Ultimate, which is the most expensive version that is supposed to have everything is $400 for the retail copy, I am sure that an OEM copy is cheaper. I think XP is $300 today and an OEM copy(just the disc and license, without the fancy box and 'getting started' guide) is half the price although you are supposed to get it when purchasing a new computer or computer equip for what I understand.

The Aero features look pretty nice but I really don't care what things look like because I use computers for what they can do not what they make things look like, unless of course I am working with graphics or gaming but the OS layout and visual design doesn't have much to do with those things. There are a few features that seem neat but when I removed RAM so that I had 512 megs on my 1.7 ghz machine that I was testing it on, it took nearly two minutes to load itself along with Internet Explorer with a fresh installation which is annoying when XP does the same in less than half the time.

The main reason I like the idea of Vista is security. That is the number one failing of Windows in my opinion.

If the security issues can be solved Windows looks really good. I would also want for my software and hardware to work.

Quote:

The main reason I like the idea of Vista is security. That is the number one failing of Windows in my opinion.

If the security issues can be solved Windows looks really good. I would also want for my software and hardware to work.

microsoft has said this about all there other windows programs. we will fix the security problem. they still havent gotten it right. and I dont think they want too.

think I will stop at XP. dont need all the bells and whistles. sounds liek its going to be a big resource hog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back