How much top off oil when changing the filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prefill your filter before installing it.
let the car idle for 5 mins, so the oil can move around, shut it off let is sit. Once the oil has accumulated in the pan, then check your dip stick and add accordingly.

1/2 a quart top off oil you will need.

Try the Wix 51344 or 51347 ....Purolator 24458 & 20073 oil filter, all 4 of these oil filters are twice the size of the tiny 14459 oil filter.
cool.gif

It's pretty tough to pre-fill the filter with oil unless the filter is almost absolutely level when it's threaded into its post. It's easier to just install it then read the level on your dipstick and add accordingly.

yeah, prefilling is hard on a honda. just put a new filter on and start it up, you wont be low enough to cause harm. then check the dipstick and add accordingly

You might want to look at the technical manual for your model year. Mine says 3.2 qt for NO (change of filter) and 3.4 qts for change (of filter) If yours is anything like mine ( crack open sides are vertical (leaks profusely when cracked open) forget about prefilling your oil filter

Gonna be doing a mid-interval filter change on my '00 Honda Civic. This car only takes 3.5qts. The filter is the Purolator 14459 size, pretty tiny. What do you guys think? I'm guessing probably ~1/4 quart?

jeff

If you let the prefilled filter sit for 5 or 10 minutes, the oil will flow through the element to the can side and you won't spill too much when you screw it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back