How much to replace parking brake cable on hyundai elantra?

Can someone estimate this for me.
needs a new passenger side (RH?) parking brake cable.

I Think it was damaged in accident and they never fixed it.

It was at the dealer for 2 recalls so they generously told me it was bent
and charged me 175 when I didnt want to pay them 700$+ to fix it.
WE GOTTA PAY OUR TECHS.. uh looking up when its on the lift hardly seems like it requires 175$?
And they were doing a brake inspection for "free" anyway?

I did tell them I noticed only one wheel was locking up when parking brake was applied.

I mean how do you tell only 1 parking brake is locking up? Well i noticed it during a tire rotation.

Looks like the part runs $92-$130 for oem part

Am I wrong in thinking this is a 1-2 hour job? 500+ for labor??

Anyone know a reliable place in NE ohio Akron, canton, kent area?

At this point I dont even care if the repair costs 500$ but I dont want to feel like I got it with no lube at the dealer.

@Trav needs to retire in ohio ;)

edit:Added pic
image_2022-12-21_190528429.jpg

Last edited:

WE GOTTA PAY OUR TECHS.. uh looking up when its on the lift hardly seems like it requires 175$?

I did tell them I noticed only one wheel was locking up when parking brake was applied.

I mean how do you tell only 1 parking brake is locking up? Well i noticed it during a tire rotation.

At this point I dont even care if the repair costs 500$ but I dont want to feel like I got it with no lube at the dealer.

View attachment 131859

What you should do is post a review of that dealers service department how they attempted to rip you off.
And don't be scared to do so. Google review and or whoever else.

Yes the picture shows the cable is mangled and needs to be replaced. This is something that any shop can do, so get some quotes.

You may find that additional work is needed on the brake system at the wheel since it hasn't moved in a while.

No, they charged him $175 for no work, just for diagnosing it only.
Where do get that from? No mention of a diagnostic fee. Most states require a written estimate for a job over $50 or $100. He said,
Sounds like he was presented a bill of $700 for the work and after some back and forth with the service manager, he got the bill down to $175. Had a similar incident a few years ago myself.

Where do get that from? No mention of a diagnostic fee. Most states require a written estimate for a job over $50 or $100. He said,

Sounds like he was presented a bill of $700 for the work and after some back and forth with the service manager, he got the bill down to $175. Had a similar incident a few years ago myself.
They didn't fix it. This place does free brake inspection when you take it in.

But since the wife mentioned the parking brake not working they charged me $175 to look up at the bottom of the car and see it was bent that was the diagnostic fee if I would have paid them $700 to fix it they would waive it.

To even get your car into the dealership they charge you the diagnostic fee and then refund you if it's warranty.

In other news some old lady was getting soaked to the tune of $1,600 for some flushes while I was there

They didn't fix it. This place does free brake inspection when you take it in.

But since the wife mentioned the parking brake not working they charged me $175 to look up at the bottom of the car and see it was bent that was the diagnostic fee if I would have paid them $700 to fix it they would waive it.
And you didn't raise a stink over that?

View attachment 131859
From what I can see it is not a big job, remove the console, unhook the cable ends and cable hold down bolts and it should come out easy on a 2020, not much rust. Maybe $150 labor.

Last edited:
Some states check the parking brake as part of a state inspection.

The longer you wait the more parts may rust up and not work properly.

Everyone should try the parking brake once a month.
the brake parts arent rusted up they just barely engage due to the cable... still moving.

Job would be easy on a lift.. not sure how easy with ramps.
Current favored option: do nothing until spring.

Back