How much thicker is Redline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember reading somewhere where Redline was on the thicker side.

Bear with me guys, as all this *oil-ology* is slowing being learned. I'm currently running Redline 5W30 (about 1500 miles on it since last oil change) on a BMW X5 V8 4.4L.

It was cold today - 1F. When I started up the car, it hesitated for about a second and a half.
Should I be using even a thinner oil like Amsoil/GC 0W-30.

I really don't think that slow/rough starting in cold weather is simply the fault of the oil. Batteries don't "like" extremely cold temps and maybe the starter was "glitchy" in the cold as well. There are simply many more variables in cold starting than just the oil. My $.02

Last night at 11:30 I started my Camry up with Redline 5W40 at 0F. It fired right up like it 80F out. It is not the oil. Remember if it is a 5W30 it still has to meet those spec. to be labled as such. Their is no way that you need anything thiner then this!!

I would suspect that the battery is not likeing the cold weather. You will also find that the grease in the starter has to be over come when cold. It as a fraction of a second to the whole affair.

[ January 10, 2004, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

If nothing else, have the battery load tested at your dealer, it only takes a minute.
BMW batteries suck, trust me. Or maybe it just the fact that I change so many of them, that I'm under that impression......

the other day here in denver it was -10 i use redline 10w30 mix with delvac 1 5w40 for a cst of 11.6 so its a high 30w...and this is in my ford 4.6 and 5.4...when i started up the cars in the am, it was sitting for 2 days in frigid cold,..it started right up like in was summer and no clicks or noises i don't have in these engines anyways...i also use fleetguards stratapore filter the adbv opens up at 7psi...any ways this combinatiom of oils and filters works great here in fridgid weather...

What you discribed sounds like the batt is getting weak. I can usually tell by that sound long before the batt actually goes bad.

Sounds like it anyway

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
the other day here in denver it was -10 i use redline 10w30 mix with delvac 1 5w40 for a cst of 11.6 so its a high 30w...and this is in my ford 4.6 and 5.4...when i started up the cars in the am, it was sitting for 2 days in frigid cold,..it started right up like in was summer and no clicks or noises i don't have in these engines anyways...i also use fleetguards stratapore filter the adbv opens up at 7psi...any ways this combinatiom of oils and filters works great here in fridgid weather...

Yep I'm right next door here in Broomfield and it was negative 8 the other morning. My Accord with M1 0w-40 started just fine without noise as well. I was glad I had it in there........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back