How much Techron per tank of fuel?

Since the pandemic started, I started using local Lukoil gas because they have an attendant that fills up. I don't have to touch anywhere. Otherwise, I use BP or Costco gas. I plan to stick to this station until everything settles down. At every oil change, usually every 9-12 months / 6000 miles, I use 20oz Techron per tank (16.6 gallons).

I wonder if I should add a couple of oz of Techron per fill up, or just stick to every oil change.

Techron is one oz per gallon (last time I checked). This would be more of a maintenance amount that most people don't need because their top tier fuel has a good detergent additive in it already. If you have an injector problem and want to try Techron to fix it, then I would double up, maybe even more if I was impatient and wanted to fix it before dumping any more unburnt fuel into the cats than necessary.

Anyway, a small % of tanks of off brand gas won't produce buildups at an alarming rate, simply using the major brand gas once in a while should provide the cleaning benefits.

What are the directions on the bottle
Says use 1oz per gallon every 3000 miles, doesn't say anything about regular fill-ups.

Anyway, a small % of tanks of off brand gas won't produce buildups at an alarming rate, simply using the major brand gas once in a while should provide the cleaning benefits.
It's not a small percentage actually. Its been 100% since March 2020 and will be 100% until pandemic subsides enough that I feel comfortable touching around and not lather my hands with a hand sanitizer. So thought maybe a couple of oz per tank.

I fall under high risk due to autoimmune health conditions so being extra cautious.

Time to make a decision.
I buy Techron in the quart bottles.
I tend to buy fuel 12 gallons at a time filling my 18 gallon tank. It gets an 8 ounce squirt.
This completely unscientific method translates into 4 "fill-ups" per bottle at a .66 oz. per gallon dosage.
Burn Techron laced fuel during local driving stints only. I read that that the PEA works upon shutdown.

A friend had a slight miss. 'Twas so slight I couldn't hear it.
His truck's 25 gallon tank was half full when I gave him a 20 ounce bottle (Happy Birthday) and told him to dump it all in.
He swears the miss is gone.
He does nothing but local driving with his truck (4.6l V8, '97 F-150).
His was a "super dose"; well over the 1 oz. per gallon.

I will tell you Chevron is very serious when it comes to the Techron in their fuel. At the loading terminals if any blend issues arise, drivers are given a small bottle of concentrate for every 1000 gal of gas being delivered. It is like a syrup.

If you fill up With Chevron gas regularly there is no need for the additive.

Since the pandemic started, I started using local Lukoil gas because they have an attendant that fills up. I don't have to touch anywhere. Otherwise, I use BP or Costco gas. I plan to stick to this station until everything settles down. At every oil change, usually every 9-12 months / 6000 miles, I use 20oz Techron per tank (16.6 gallons).

I wonder if I should add a couple of oz of Techron per fill up, or just stick to every oil change.

Which Techron additive are you going to be using? There are at least 6 different formulations available to the public.

Some are OK to use every 1,000 miles and others are only to be used every 3,000 miles. I would not mess with adding it at every fill up. Too much of this stuff can lead to spark plug damage at the least and catalytic failure at the most.

I buy Techron in the quart bottles.
I didn't know you get it in quart size bottles. Never checked really. I will set up a sale alert on it and stock up on it for the future. One question though, how long can you keep this opened bottle? At the rate you use, it will take me 4 months to finish up the bottle. I usually fuel up once a month nowadays.

If you fill up With Chevron gas regularly there is no need for the additive.
We don't have Chevron stations in my neck of the woods.
Which Techron additive are you going to be using? There are at least 6 different formulations available to the public.
I stock up on 20 oz Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner anytime it goes below $7 a bottle

Thank you for the warning. Maybe I should stick to once in 3000 miles then.

Says use 1oz per gallon every 3000 miles, doesn't say anything about regular fill-ups.

It's not a small percentage actually. Its been 100% since March 2020 and will be 100% until pandemic subsides enough that I feel comfortable touching around and not lather my hands with a hand sanitizer. So thought maybe a couple of oz per tank.

I fall under high risk due to autoimmune health conditions so being extra cautious.

Use gloves to hold the pump. Done.

Depends on the type. Techron Concentrate Plus is meant for occasional use. It's not supposed to be an every fillup sort of thing. Chevron says that it's meant for use in that specific concentration of 1 oz per gallon. They have other additives like Pro-Gard that are meant for more regular use. They also claim that their specific formulations are meant for the duty specified. So I guess watering it down for more regular use isn't necessarily what they recommend.

I don't think most really need anything though with the regular use of a good detergent gas.

Small percentage of # of tanks over the lifetime of the vehicle, whether done in a row or every blue moon.

If you don't want to use hand sanitizer every time you gas up, fine, just do it every 3rd time or so. For all we know that Lukoil gas may have enough detergents that all this talk of techron is unnecessary, that the same tanker truck fills them as the station up the road that you would've been more comfortable using w/o techron added. Talk to people who regularly buy gas there, ask if they are having any problems.

If you’re using a 20oz bottle every 6ish-thousand miles, I don’t think adding a maintenance dose per fill up is needed. I vote to keep things simple and do as you’ve been doing.

And to those offering you unsolicited medical advice, heck ‘em. Do what makes you comfortable. Stay safe.

I always used a hint,dash,splash,etc every other fillup. My intake has only been Caseys or QT non ethanol. Microtreating is fine as long as an initial cleaning has been performed. Throttle/MAF cleaning every 10k miles,Gumout Multitune crankcase 4oz every 50k miles.

Use gloves to hold the pump. Done.
Yes. Use disposable gloves then you can use Top Tier gas. No overfilled gas tank, no loose gas cap and no scratched fuel filler door. Always best to DIY whenever you're able to, then you know it's done properly, even such a simple task as a fill-up done by someone else can be a screwup.

I always used a hint,dash,splash,etc every other fillup. My intake has only been Caseys or QT non ethanol. Microtreating is fine as long as an initial cleaning has been performed. Throttle/MAF cleaning every 10k miles,Gumout Multitune crankcase 4oz every 50k miles.
Might need to put some in with Casey's. Why with QT? Unless it's an every 3000 maintenance dose. BTW QT is apparently a mask free zone so I may take their free air and occasionally gas if I can't get to Costco, but no more going in for soft serve.

I am not sure what strength bottle they sell at Costco, but I dumped 2 bottles in my Ridgeline 20 gal tank and the number proved the cleaning.
I drove 130 miles without Techron and then added Techron and drove another 130, power and mpg gains were seen,
My truck sits 6 months plus every year and it was nearly 10 years old when I did this.

Just doesn’t seem to be a generic low-price PEA additive available at the moment.

I ended up getting Redline. They had a “maintenance” dosage listed. For long term use might be cheaper to buy a multi pack of Techron. My recollection is that it required quite a dose to O.D. On PEA. Enough to take the lining off the inside of the gas tank.

[...] For all we know that Lukoil gas may have enough detergents that all this talk of techron is unnecessary,

Lukoil is not mentioned on any of the lists of Top Tier Gasoline that I've seen. That might suggest that it doesn't have an acceptable detergent content.

Back