how much syn in syntec blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
reading another thread made me wonder - how much group III or PAO (don't know which they use) is in Castrol Syntec Blend? I mean, the stuff is almost $3/qt - it must be mostly syn, right???

Castrol's domestic full synthetics are believed to be entirely Group III base stocks. If so, it would stand to reason that Castrol's domestic synthetic blends would also use Group III as the synthetic content. The actual percentage is closely held proprietary information by Castrol. Domestic Castrol motor oils are performance competive based on posted UOAs, but perhaps the assumption that they're similarly price competive is misplaced.

I agree with W.T.McGlynn, blend your own. My favorite right now is 3-4 quarts of Exxon (clean 5000) 89 cent Dino with 1-2 quarts of M1 SS. IMO, a good 5k oil for less then $10.
cool.gif

quote:

A minimum of 5% is required by oil manufacturing blenders.

quote:

Every one uses varying amounts too.... even changing the amounts within multiple brands inside their own house... ie... Conoco Oil Co with Motorcraft, Kendall, Trop Artic.

Would you please provide the reference links for these statements?

I am sure many here are interested in viewing more info on this topic.

about blending your own - would adding Redline (or another ester based synthetic) be more beneficial than M1 - because the ester "clings" better to cold engine parts, reducing cold start wear?

quote:

Originally posted by sky jumper:
about blending your own - would adding Redline (or another ester based synthetic) be more beneficial than M1 - because the ester "clings" better to cold engine parts, reducing cold start wear?

Castrol Startup and Syntec contain proprietary special esters.
grin.gif
I cannot say about the Syntec Blend. I would only be speculating.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
A minimum of 5% is required by oil manufacturing blenders.

Last I read in either Lubes&Greases or MachineryLube Magazine was that there was no official or enforced rule as to how much synthetic base must be used to market it as synthetic. And the article(s) talked more about the definition of synthetic and what oils actually are.
They might still be lingering in the intersting articles forum.

A few years ago (SJ spec'd oils) Exxon Superflo had dino in red containers and Synthetic in gold containers and a Superflo Synthetic Blend in white containers. The Syn Blend said 'contains approx. 1/3 Synthetic oil' in the literature that Exxon provided. I wish other manufacturers were so forthright.

pbm
Member # 3848

posted 31 August, 2005 01:35
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few years ago (SJ spec'd oils) Exxon Superflo had dino in red containers and Synthetic in gold containers and a Superflo Synthetic Blend in white containers. The Syn Blend said 'contains approx. 1/3 Synthetic oil' in the literature that Exxon provided. I wish other manufacturers were so forthright.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 532 | From: New York | Registered: Apr 2004 | IP: Logged |

Also for the mobil drive clean said 22% for the high mileage.

Topic: how much syn in syntec blend?

A minimum of 5% is required by oil manufacturing blenders. Every one uses varying amounts too.... even changing the amounts within multiple brands inside their own house... ie... Conoco Oil Co with Motorcraft, Kendall, Trop Artic. Same madness with Shell, Pennzoil and Quaker State in-house. Nobody wants to put the amount on their oil jug so they cannot be trusted with their "over the telephone" promises that X-amount exists inside that quart jug.

Your best bet is to buy dino & synthetic -- then mix within the same brand & weight. Using one-third synthetic makes a nice blend. It's easy math to figure out when pouring. Need help?... just ask here for assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back