How much snow you got?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 5-6 inches here and I'm in metro NYC.

For all of the hype I expected more. It was all blacktop too until about an hour ago. It's just now starting to accumulate on streets. I do understand though that they claim the second half of today will be far worse than the first half.

I've been going out and shoveling and "desnowing" all cars every few hours or so, so I don't kill myself doing large amounts at once. Mostly just slush.

I only remove the snow on the very tops of my cars and try to avoid making direct contact with the brush to avoid scratches. The sun and temps tomorrow will melt the rest.

Been snowing for an hr or so here. Gonna be glop, however much it is.. I only got 4" last one. If I get that little amount, it will be left for the 12 hrs of sun and the 40f ocean that tempers the local area. Time to test the Arctics on Marina's Camry. Despite that rosy prediction, I got 4 gallons of gas for the OPE and the Rat. Also I did a drain and fill on the bucket's gear box on the snow blower.

Looks like a bob-cat. I had one. It blew quite well.

The reduction gearbox bolted to the engine is quite a trip though.

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
0" here so far
I'd like to see some snow I just replaced some auger bearings a couple days ago,
Want to to see how she blows.

Currently visiting family an hour north of NYC...
Kids got a snow day today but there was only flurries for about 20 mins all day... nothing even stuck

Last edited:
We had maybe two inches here with about twice that to the north as I drove to work.
Pavement is warm enough that there wasn't much on the roads and no ice even though the air temperatures were in the upper twenties.
It was quite pretty with all of that wet snow sticking to the trees.
We are forecast to see more snowfall Saturday.
What's amusing is that I've sometimes had to cut the grass by this point in the year.

We got around 3" here-but it was melting as fast as it fell. This Saturday, some outlets are predicting 10" plus here-that would be the most we've gotten here in a LONG time! Looks strange with all the daffodils blooming and hyacinths 2/3 up!

We might get some Friday, not related to what happened down east, of course.
wink.gif

Got "stuck" out here in West Chester, PA. I seen there was a atorm coming so I brought plenty of clothes. Got about 8 to 10 out here, but over a foot at my house in Fulton county. Glad I told my boss to get me a room out here. Turnpike was shut down in a couple spots and travel was just terrible.

Nothing here at all in my area, and nothing in the 7 day forecast either. I drove my Corvette to work today and yesterday, and will definitely drive it on the weekend and to work the first couple of days next week too. I sure hope winter is done with us, it started out yucky but we haven't had very much snow at all since about the end of January.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
We got around 3" here-but it was melting as fast as it fell. This Saturday, some outlets are predicting 10" plus here-that would be the most we've gotten here in a LONG time! Looks strange with all the daffodils blooming and hyacinths 2/3 up!

Thankfully this forecast proved to be a total bust.
We had zero Saturday morning, which was nice since we planned an eighty mile drive north to see the grandson.

The four nor'easters that ran up the coast this month mostly missed us here in the Virginia Blue Ridge Mountains, but last night's storm got us. We got 15" of pure white snow laying beautifully on the mountains.

Okay, now I'm ready for it to melt!

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
The four nor'easters that ran up the coast this month mostly missed us here in the Virginia Blue Ridge Mountains, but last night's storm got us. We got 15" of pure white snow laying beautifully on the mountains.

I know what some of you have been dealing with has been far from fun, but those 2 pics above are simply stunning! I happen to love winter being as I am a snowmobiler so those 2 pics look like heaven to me.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ

Photo 1 looks like a Christmas card. Very beautiful photo. Can't believe I am saying this with "spring" so close.

We were supposed to get nailed with that system. Went from 5-8 inches, to 3-5, and then to nothing. Radar wise, it was just to the south of us all day yesterday with a very strong eastern wind. Sure felt like we were going to get hit, but never saw a snowflake.

My brother and I did some hiking about an hour south this morning. Still no snow.

We had about 8" of Thundersnow and lightning here with a very thin coat of ice underneath, but just a few miles south they had over 12.5" to 14."

You could see lightning through the intense snowfall and every once in a while an actual Cloud-to-ground lightning strike.

At times the snow was coming down in what I would call, "twisted sheets." Never saw this before.
31.gif

It took me two days to get the snow off the driveway since it was so wet and heavy and it looked like snow cone ice coming out of the snowblower.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back