How much Pennzane is in Pennzoil synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Johnny can better answer this than anyone else. I've read Pennzane is for real (sorry, I really had to check that out), and is actually made for NASA. However, the price is rumoured around $400US per US quart.

If that's the case, then how much Pennzane (in ppm) is in every quart of Pennzoil synthetic?

Thanks,

Oz

$400 a quart?
shocked.gif
What's it made out of? Unobtanium?
grin.gif

The Oz,

Pennzane is a PAO based fluid with very low volatility. The reason this is important for space use is that you don't want oil vapors condensing on any optics or other sensitive instrumentation. In the case of this formulation, I'd say it's mostly marketing, but generally speaking a lower Noack volatility is desirable. Noack volatility seems to correlate well to oil consumption in actual service.

TooSlick

Oz: In ppm I have no clue how much is in a quart of oil. The price you quote is correct. So how much is in a quart, not much, just enough to put the name on the label.

TooSlick! Welcome, bud! Where's mickey and them
wink.gif
? I found this site (through TDIClub) as an interim until I get a "real" TDI
smile.gif
But, I think I'll stick around until Bob gets bored and decides to kick my poor *** off this board
grin.gif

Johnny -> Thanks very much for the response. You don't have to go any further (we don't want you to lose your job...hehe
smile.gif
).

neonmike22 -> Unobtanium as in unobtainable...hehehe
grin.gif
?

So, Pennzane works out to roughly $0.42US per ml. At that price, I highly doubt there is even 1ml in 946ml (1 US quart) of Pennzoil synthetic...this is very interesting indeed.

cheers.gif

Oz

If were made from Unobtanium you couldn’t buy it. I suspect it is made from Rarium.

quote:

Originally posted by The_Oz:
TooSlick! Welcome, bud! Where's mickey and them
wink.gif
? I found this site (through TDIClub) as an interim until I get a "real" TDI
smile.gif
But, I think I'll stick around until Bob gets bored and decides to kick my poor *** off this board
grin.gif

OZ I didn't realize you were from TDI.com. welcome. Just changed the oil in mine, I have 8,000 on the Castrol Syntec, Put in Amsoil 10w40, which I plan to run for as along as I own the car.

BTW for you TDi guys:

How much is VW charging for that 5w-40 oil of theirs? Last I heard it was $6.00-USD a quart! Also, has anyone seen the bottles of it by chance to see what is written on it? i.e. what specs it claims, etc. Also, where it is made? Lastly, there's always a serial number stamped on the back side towards the bottom that will tell us if it is (like BMW's oil), made by Castrol N.A. Just curious-sorry to be annoying!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Chris J.:
BTW for you TDi guys:

How much is VW charging for that 5w-40 oil of theirs? Last I heard it was $6.00-USD a quart! Also, has anyone seen the bottles of it by chance to see what is written on it? i.e. what specs it claims, etc. Also, where it is made? Lastly, there's always a serial number stamped on the back side towards the bottom that will tell us if it is (like BMW's oil), made by Castrol N.A. Just curious-sorry to be annoying!
smile.gif

Last I saw was like $7.25/qt ( I got it free with for 2 years service)

The front says specifically made for VW TDI or something like that.
I believe it's totally group III
I don't know about the serial number.

msparks -> Thanks. I feel right at home here
smile.gif

Chris J. -> My one and only run-in with a VW service counter quoted me $9CDN per litre of Castrol Syntec 5W40. A 4L jug of Delvac1 is roughly the same price ($35.95CDN per 4L).

Regards,

Oz

quote:

Originally posted by The_Oz:
Maybe Johnny can better answer this than anyone else. I've read Pennzane is for real (sorry, I really had to check that out), and is actually made for NASA. However, the price is rumoured around $400US per US quart.

If that's the case, then how much Pennzane (in ppm) is in every quart of Pennzoil synthetic?

Thanks,

Oz

I am sure the pricing is due to the limited quantity of production. If you run a few thousand gallon per day I bet you it will only cost 1% of that or less.

So if they are now starting to put it in the oil, it is going to be much cheaper. Plus, if it is just PA0 how the heck can they make it so expensive with large volume?

quote:

I am sure the pricing is due to the limited quantity of production. If you run a few thousand gallon per day I bet you it will only cost 1% of that or less.

So if they are now starting to put it in the oil, it is going to be much cheaper. Plus, if it is just PA0 how the heck can they make it so expensive with large volume?

Not to get Johnny in trouble
wink.gif
I formed my own conclusions based on his statement above. I'm more convinced now, than ever, that this is just pure BS marketing and nothing more.

Regards,

Oz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back