How much oil does your car consume in 3k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just added some this AM. 1992 Camry V6 153,000 miles
and it has 3100 on this current oil. Added 5 ounces so far.

The consumption does start to increase gradually as the oil gets more use so by 7500 miles (my normal change) it will be closer to 3/4 of a quart.

quote:

This is with a 2000 LS1 Firebird running M1 0W30! Car has 35K on it now.

Thats incredible. It just goes to show you that it really depends on the engine. My engine is a small 4cyl and I was using more then your LS1...go figure.

I seem to use 1/2 qt of M1 10w-30 every 3k miles. 0w-30 was much higher. I also drive at speeds of 75-80mph, which will cause higher consumption.

[ March 28, 2003, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

What's really cool is that oil is $o cheap compared to having virtually any type of mechanical work done! "Consume" is a pretty wide term in that it includes burning, seeping, leaking, etc.

The minor oil seal leak on my SVX just went away with a mere change back to dino (from a semi-synthetic) but I'm still using Auto-rx (about 400 miles into the 1st application) just to make sure it is as clean as I can get it. I was thinking about a cam/main seal replacement about 20K miles early (usually would do this when changing out the timing belt) and this was going to add about $200 to the bill.
frown.gif

Only consumption rate I've seen in the previous postings that surprized me was on the new Audi AllRoad. But that's a pretty high state of tune motor, is it not? Twin-turbo?
cheers.gif

None.
Never had a car over the last 25 years that used any oil at all, but to be honest none of them did over 60000 miles.
Curently use Mobil 1 0-40 (the European weight) and change at 3000 miles.
Roger

quote:

Originally posted by Norm Olt:

Only consumption rate I've seen in the previous postings that surprized me was on the new Audi AllRoad. But that's a pretty high state of tune motor, is it not? Twin-turbo?
cheers.gif

Yes, 2.7L (~165 cubic inches) making 250 HP. One turbo per 3 cylinders. Huge amounts of torque (for this sized engine) at just 1,800 rpm. That will certainly abuse a motor oil. Especially a 0W-30. However, I was surprised at 1qt per 2,500 miles (so far) as well on a brand new engine. Maybe the rings haven't completely seated yet?

quote:

Originally posted by mph:
Well, I've never seen the level drop on my Civic del Sol

Argh! I forgot to knock wood. When I checked the oil this morning, it had dropped by 1/3 quart or so in 2,500 miles. (Actually, fewer miles than that, since I'd checked it not too long ago.)

Just a suggestion to those who have oil consuming motors from my experiences...

I have a 1993 Thunderbird with the 5.0L V8 that I drive harder than any car should ever be driven. In about 2000 miles, it ate a good 2 quarts of Redline 10w-30. It ate about the same amount of Mobil 5w-30 Dino and Valvoline Maxlife 10w-30 in the same amount of time.

I picked up some Pennzoil High Mileage 5w-30 becuase it was the same price as normal Pennzoil. After 3,000 miles, I noticted the motor didnt lose ANY oil. I am on my 2nd change of Pennzoil HM 5w-30 (about 1500mi into it) and I havent burned any of this change either.

Needless to say... I am VERY happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back