How much oil does your car consume in 3k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
00 TJ Wrangler Mobil 1 10W-30SL uses no oil whatsoever. I fill it to the full mark and it doesn't go down. 02 SS Camaro M1 SS 10W-30 still breaking it in only 1,400 miles on her. So far no oil consumption or piston slap.

2000 LS1 Firebird-less than .5 qrt. I use 0W30 M1, most it has ever used was a smidge under a quart when I went over 7K miles between changes.
2001 Kia Rio-less than a .5 qrt, once again M1 0W30
'83 6.2L Chevy Blazer- 1-1.5 qrts Wallmart 15W40{don't know how much of this is being used as it leaks from the rear main}

my 2001 Elantra has never used any oil it now has 17,000 miles on it. Really nice little car with a nice peppy motor on it : )

Hi Folks.....first post after finding out about this page from Subaru I-Club...www.i-club.com

Daughter's 97 VW Cabrio-69k/ 10-30 Mobil 1
Wife's 2001 Wrangler 4.0-26k/ 10-30 Mobil 1
My WRX-27k/ 5-30 Mobil 1

No consumption at all on all vehicles. Purolator PureOne filters used on Subie and Jeep while VW uses German Mann filter. Being anal, I do oil changes every 3k.

[ September 06, 2002, 06:05 AM: Message edited by: Barry ]

quote:

Originally posted by Barry:
Hi Folks.....first post after finding out about this page from Subaru I-Club...www.i-club.com

Daughter's 97 VW Cabrio-69k/ 10-30 Mobil 1
Wife's 2001 Wrangler 4.0-26k/ 10-30 Mobil 1
My WRX-27k/ 5-30 Mobil 1

No consumption at all on all vehicles. Purolator PureOne filters used on Subie and Jeep while VW uses German Mann filter. Being anal, I do oil changes every 3k.

welcome.gif
Barry!

We'll help you break that old 3k oil change habit in no time!
wink.gif

I had two 87 Mustang GTs and the first one used oil but it was mostly leaking, I tightened down the valve covers and it solved it.

The second one I bought had a new engine from a 91 Mustang, and it didn't burn any oil at first. But I put an 8psi Paxton supercharger on it and after 250+ quarter mile runs it took it's toll and the engine would burn about a quart to 1.5 quarts every 3k. The 5.0s were supposedly designed to burn a bit of oil, I heard Ford did this to increase longevity? Supposedly by having looser rings and allowing more oil to get past them, this allowed for less friction. I'm not an engine builder by any stretch, so I don't know if this makes sense or not, it was just something I had heard.

Yes,

My '87 GT doesn't leak at all, I have replaced the valve cover gaskets about 10 years ago. The rear main bearing seal is still good, the seal is well known to weep on this model of vehicle. It is to my understanding that the piston/oil ring assembly is of a low-tension design thus the higher than 'normal' use of oil. You will not observe blue smoke out of the exhaust or any other indicators of the ring design, and after 170K miles on my car it runs very well and the exhaust is as clean as can be. this car has lasted and performed strong longer than I imagined. 170K miles. BTW, Mobil 1 10w-30 since Dec. of 1987. Car was purchased in August of '87.

[ September 06, 2002, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: 87GT97CRV ]

My '94 Z28 with 160K on the clock (original engine) uses almost no oil between 5K mile oil changes. I was using M1 until they went to SS, now I'm using Amsoil.

Well, 4 cars in the fleet:

'88 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0l L6, 10w30 Valvoline All Climate, 43,500 on the odometer, doesn't use a drop in 3,000 miles.

'89 Chevrolet Cavalier, 2.0l L4, 5w30 Mobil Drive Clean, 159,000 on the odometer, uses about 1.5 quarts every 3,000, but this is mostly leaks rather than consumption. Car has leaked since about '91 and about 35,000 miles.

'97 Ford F150, 4.6l V8, 5w30 Valvoline Durablend, 152,000 miles on the odometer, doesn't burn a drop unless towing, then 1/2 qt per 3,000 mi.

'99 Ford F150, 4.6l V8, 5w30 Valvoline Durablend, 79,000 miles on the odometer, doesn't burn a drop, period.

quote:

Originally posted by SteveR:
My '94 Z28 with 160K on the clock (original engine) uses almost no oil between 5K mile oil changes. I was using M1 until they went to SS, now I'm using Amsoil.

Nice to see another LT1 f-body owner here! Do you have any oil analysis results on your car?

I thought I would resurrect this thread again so new people on the site could vote. I'm very interested in this data.

Patman,

My 2002 LS1 WS6 has about 20500 miles on it. It has an aftermarket cam and long tube headers on it and I race it some. I have a little over 2000 miles on this oil change with Mobil 1 and I just had to add a quart. I can live with that.

I used to have a 1992 Toyota Camry with up to about 135000 miles on it. It never really used any oil and it had all different kinds of oil in it over the 7 years I had it.

Les

quote:

Originally posted by Les:
Patman,

My 2002 LS1 WS6 has about 20500 miles on it. It has an aftermarket cam and long tube headers on it and I race it some. I have a little over 2000 miles on this oil change with Mobil 1 and I just had to add a quart. I can live with that.

I used to have a 1992 Toyota Camry with up to about 135000 miles on it. It never really used any oil and it had all different kinds of oil in it over the 7 years I had it.

Les

The Lumina of mine would literally suck down the oil...can't even tell you how much, but probably 1/2 quart every 500 miles. No joke.

Put in Valvoline MaxLife, and there really wasn't much difference.

Now, I'm running Delo 400 15w-40 and the consumption has just about stopped...just put it in though, so time will tell if the consumption stops.

Justin.

[ March 27, 2003, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Justin ]

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
I always check when engine cold after sitting all night.

AMEN!

I have expreinced wildy different oil levels if not waiting at least a couple of hours.
Most consistet results are achieved overnite.

Fred..
smile.gif

I just reviewed the poll results again, 43 % said no consumption at 3000 miles. As noted, I think the definition of consumption needs to be made. Very difficult for me to believe that in 3000 miles 43 % of cars on the road did not use any oil! They must use some oil and the dipstick level must change at 3000 miles vs the new oil change mark. I think many people say if it is between the hash marks it is fine and does not use oil. That is a huge disparity, could be a few ounces to almost a quart with that definition.

99 Jeep XJ,01 TJ both with the straight six 4.0L...can't see any difference on the dipstick between oil changes..change around 5-6k with Mobil 1 on both.
fruit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back