How much oil comes out when removing oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well. I just had a idea before I went to bed.

Lets say I had a brand new car. I break it in and change the oil every 1,000 miles until the car has 3,000 miles. Then I add Mobil 1 or Amsoil to the crankcase. After 3,000 miles, instead of changing to fresh oil, I change just the filter and refill it with oil to compensate what was lost when taking out the filter.

Then when the car hits 20,000 miles, I do a Auto-RX. After the whole thing is completed. I do the whole thing over again.

Good idea, or im I crazy.

You would be replacing anywhere between 1/2 to 1 quart of $5/qt. syn, depending on filter size. IMO, you would also have to do UOA's pretty often to see how the oil is holding up. By the time you did that, it would be cheaper to just change out a good cheap dino every 5K. Also, there is the matter of satisfying warranty requirements of changing oil. Cars are expensive, dino is not.

You don't need to change the filter that often, for starters. But, if it makes you happy, look for a new car with a filter that holds about a cup instead of one that holds a quart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back