How much oil an oil filter contains......

Status
Not open for further replies.
This pretty much answers a question I had. When I just changed the oil in my Caravan this last weekend, I somehow managed to overfill it by what seems to be about 1/4 qt in a 5 qt system. My father who is very knowledgeable with automotives - especially from the muscle car era, 60's 70's etc - says that much of an overfill shouldnt be an issue. That seems to be what the consensus here is as well.

As for changing an oil filter, my father taught me to always pour a bit of oil right into the new filter before putting it on as this can help eliminate the first dry start when changing the oil. It seems that the filter, at least on my van, holds about 4 oz or so of oil. Id say 8-12 oz (just estimating visually) drained out from the channels when I removed the old filter. If I was just changing the filter, I would estimate I would lose around 16-20 oz, so half a quart or a little more.

Depending on how your vehicle is constructed, removing and draining the filter may be an effective means to lower the level back down to a comfortable mark for you.

Personally, half a qt over, I dont think Id give it even a second thought from what I have heard and read here.

I doubt that much overfill will hurt anything.
Probably your brain will worry a bunch though.
If you are really worried, crawl under the car, slowly open oil plug and remove 500ml

Ok .bought a tube from pet store and a seringe from drung mart and took out almost 400 ml out. Doing that mad max fury road style( to bring oil till the end of tube where I attached the seringe), I did get some crank case fumes in my mouth..hopefully it won't hurt much..we will see...lol

depends on the size of the filter - all my cars use the smaller filters
about 4 inches high - I expect about 5-7 ounces. the larger GM filters
seem to be at least 6 inches high and probably 8-10 ounces.

why not try putting some oil in a filter, either measure how much it
holds or weigh it. then put filter in ziplock for next time use.

in any case, I would not worry about this since your car is older
and could be leaking or burning some.

ok folks another question....
So I extracted about 300 or 400 ml oil using a tube. I have stored it in a plastic bottle.
As my car consumes oil, can I por it back after lets say 2 months?
New oil put in the first week of June
added 500ml in first week of Aug
then this guy added 1 liter yesterday..
after all this adding ( and its mobil1) , I guess oil is good.
but as I extracted it from sump , it won’t be filtered oil...right?

so if I pour it from fill cap, will the dirty oil not go to engine internal parts before going to sump again?
I like this car so I am bit hesitant...

Originally Posted By: asker123
so if I pour it from fill cap, will the dirty oil not go to engine internal parts before going to sump again?

If kept in a clean container it should be fine to use to top off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back