How much oil an oil filter contains......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, quick one...
How much oil you think will come out of the system if only oil filter is replaced..
Car details in signature
Filter Mobil1 M110
Full story later.....

Originally Posted By: Dylan1303
1/8 of a qt

Ok then definitely my car has been over filled... Full story here...

Car developed an oil leak...there was no proper garage open on saturday so I had to take it to quick lube..no other option

The guy in the pit seemed experienced and he checked and said oil is leaking from oil fulter....some relief to me as I was thinking some seal is screwed up...
Anyways, he replaced the oil filter checked and said all good.
Then he said to the junior guy on top of pit to check oiland top up. I provided my own oil..

This boy some 16 year or so emptied entire 1 liter bottle in it..
Before going to there oil was bit low than max mark on dipstick lets say 200 ml low( if I consider between min and max is 1 liter)..

If you are saying filter takes only 100 ml or so, then it would have needed 200+100=300 ml to bring to max mark..so obviously when he poured entire bottle now I am 700 ml above the max mark..
Any bad impact? Dipstick is clearly showing it above max now..

I'd day about 8 oz. There will be some oil that drains from the galleries above the filter.

Originally Posted By: asker123
Any bad impact? Dipstick is clearly showing it above max now.

Loosen the drain plug and crack it open without removing it, and drain some oil out. Do it cold.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I'd day about 8 oz. There will be some oil that drains from the galleries above the filter.

Ok.so I am 550 ml above max dipstick mark

Any bad impact? Dipstick is clearly showing it above max now.

Loosen the drain plug and crack it open without removing it, and drain some oil out. Do it cold.

Sorry I don't do it myself...trying to avoid to tale the car back there so that they can't mess more with it..
Is 550 ml over bad?

My car takes 2.2 liter as per user manual but my good mechanic used to pour full 2.4 liters . Never had a problem with that much extra

And the car burns some oil as well

I would take it back to the place that overfilled it since you cannot do it. Watch them as they drain the excess. Confirm the dipstick level before you go.

25% overfilled. That's considerable. That would be like 1 quart over on a 5-6 quart car. Some car mfg's say it's ok to add a quart to a performance V8 before tracking it...but then you would drain that quart after the race. Not much reason to run 25% over on a small hp passenger car unless the mfg goofed up.

My XG2 oil filter holds around 14 oz full as I always pre-fill during an oil change. And the oil that spills from the galleries above is another 1-3 ounces. So on my car at least a quart during a filter change. A V-4 might have half that amount.

I fill the new filter used on my 04 Camry V6 with oil from Mobil five quart jug. I believe the oil filter on my vehicle holds about six to seven ounces. It's not much.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
25% overfilled. That's considerable. That would be like 1 quart over on a 5-6 quart car. Some car mfg's say it's ok to add a quart to a performance V8 before tracking it...but then you would drain that quart after the race. Not much reason to run 25% over on a small hp passenger car unless the mfg goofed up.

My XG2 oil filter holds around 14 oz full as I always pre-fill during an oil change. And the oil that spills from the galleries above is another 1-3 ounces. So on my car at least a quart during a filter change. A V-4 might have half that amount.

sorry my bad...my sump capacity is 4.2 liter and mechanic c used to pour full 4.4 liter Jug in there ( I misquoted above saying 2.2 lietr and mechanic poring 2.4 liter and now can not edit that post)

so do you think 550 ml on 4.2 liter sump is a big deal? its around 13% more....

sorry my bad...my sump capacity is 4.2 liter and mechanic c used to pour full 4.4 liter Jug in there ( I misquoted above saying 2.2 lietr and mechanic poring 2.4 liter and now can not edit that post)

so do you think 550 ml on 4.2 liter sump is a big deal? its around 13% more....

13% isn't too bad, and probably won't hurt. If it burns some like you say, the level should go down from there.

How far above the full mark on the dipstick is the level showing in millimeters?

So roughly 1/2 quart over with a five quart capacity. And your Accord uses oil? No, I would not give that a second thought. I certainly would not let the same quick lube "adjust" the oil level any further. Drive on, you are fine.

yes , the above are my concerns...don’t want to take it to same quick lube again.

well , in Winnipeg most mechanics are closed on Saturday so I had to take to quick lube.
The guy in the pit was good enough to identify that my old filter was bad . I had got the oil changed in first week of June and I was afraid in driving with an oil leak so I had to take it for a check.

Changing oil every 6 months in Toronto , my oil filter never leaked. The guy in pit confirmed that oil is leaking from filter and not above. he said that filter is tight and seems like its not leaking from gasket but from the body...

anyways I agreed to change the filter so he changed it.

problem with quicklubes is that the pit guy seemed experienced but top guys were all seemed student. I was not sure how much oil filter contains else I could have stopped him after he oured half of 1 liter bottle.

to one poster who asked how many milimietrs above the max mark. now car is parked for one hour and its easily 3 or even 4 mm above max mark...

Guess I will just drive

one Australian guy in the link below also seems confident that this is a non issue...

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2130912

Last edited:
It depends where the filter is located. If it's on top of the engine, only a little will come out.

If it's on the bottom, the oil will keep pouring out until you screw the new filter on.

Just leave it. A half a quart over is not a problem at all
smile.gif

to one poster who asked how many milimietrs above the max mark. now car is parked for one hour and its easily 3 or even 4 mm above max mark...

Guess I will just drive

one Australian guy in the link below also seems confident that this is a non issue...

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2130912

Yeah, 3~4 mm is not much of a level change. It should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back